Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Hi Guys, hopefully you can help me out here

SO I cleaning up files on my mac when I realized about 20 GBs of space was missing. After searching for a while I found a blank partition in Disk Utility that accounts for the missing space.

The partition is currently formatted as "free space" but I cannot reformat it or do anything else with it. I've tried verifying and repairing it in Disk Utility in the Recovery Partition but it says "This volume appears to be OK".

Here's a pic showing what I see in Disk Utility:
Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 7.54.56 PM.png

Hopefully you guys can help me out

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its not a partition, but just unused space, you cannot delete it because its not there (as a partition)

Try to grow your Macintosh partition and see if you can reclaim it (you might need to boot into recovery mode first).

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Its not a partition, but just unused space, you cannot delete it because its not there (as a partition)

Try to grow your Macintosh partition and see if you can reclaim it (you might need to boot into recovery mode first).

I cannot do anything with the space, it won't let me format it or grow the Macintosh partition over it

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Okay so I managed to fix this. I disabled FileVault to get rid of the 'logical volume group' then tried formatting it through the Recovery Partition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.