Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
Hi all.

Earlier today my iPhone just had a bit of a fit so I did hard restart on it. That was it, it got locked on the Apple logo and would NOT come back to life. I tried to update via iTunes, still the same. So I ended up restoring it. Now I'm trying to restore from my last iCloud backup and the thing just won't have it. The backup is from about 20 hours ago but it either just hangs at "Time remaining: estimating" or I get the error "cannot restore iCloud backup"

What could cause this error? Corrupted backup (in which case I'm sure the software is clever enough to know this and tell me that's the problem), iCloud server issue (all showing green on the online checker), or something else?

Any and all ideas please because this is driving me nuts.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Is there another, slightly older backup showing? I had this issue yesterday and after the second attempt I just restored from the older one and that worked.

As to why, though, I don't know. :/

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
Is there another, slightly older backup showing? I had this issue yesterday and after the second attempt I just restored from the older one and that worked.

As to why, though, I don't know. :/

Yeah there are some older backups showing. I went to the next oldest (didn't want to go too far back) but that was doing the same. Eventually, after about 15 tries and over an hour it did finally restore from the original backup. But this is supposed to be a simple process that anyone can do. It drove me round the twist and I'm not exactly a total novice here. No way my Mum for example could have sorted this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.