Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
Hi. Can you tell me if it is possible to run the Apple Superdrive with MacBook Air M2 Sonoma? I have tried everything including the First Aid. I can see it listed, see screenshot. I like to save on CDR for mailing to a friend overseas. And, it would be nice to hear some music.

Thanks.

Superdrive.png

Attachments

• Superdrive.png
    Superdrive.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 36

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The SuperDrive needs to be attached directly to MBA. What exactly isn’t working?

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I do not know what a MBA is. I bought a hub because nothing connected. It is attached to the usb outlet of this hub. No response whatsoever. Nor does it feed in the disc. Not shown in Finder.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I do not know what a MBA is. I bought a hub because nothing connected. It is attached to the usb outlet of this hub. No response whatsoever. Nor does it feed in the disc. Not shown in Finder.
MBA is short for MacBook Air. The Super Drive needs power to run it, the hub you are using is not providing it any power to operate.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
MBA... I did not know that. The Superdrive connection does not fit the MBA. I use the hub with my printer, ancient iPhone etc. I guess that is a NO then? Thank you anyway. Best regards.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
MBA... I did not know that. The Superdrive connection does not fit the MBA. I use the hub with my printer, ancient iPhone etc. I guess that is a NO then? Thank you anyway. Best regards.

Sounds like you need a different lead or an adapter. MBA only has USB-C and I guess your Superdrive has a USB-A connection.

A SuperDrive needs more power than a printer or ancient iPhone.

I am guessing your hub does not have its own power supply. Many hubs and docks have their powersupply. That might be another approach.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
The hub runs off the Mac. So confusing when nothing seems to fit from my MacBook Pro to this Air. I think I will go visit the Apple Store and see if they have an adapter or something. I thank you for your advice. I need a new adapter for the router anyhow, which also does not fit. I just use wifi ---- always something.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The hub runs off the Mac. So confusing when nothing seems to fit from my MacBook Pro to this Air. I think I will go visit the Apple Store and see if they have an adapter or something. I thank you for your advice. I need a new adapter for the router anyhow, which also does not fit. I just use wifi ---- always something.

So your hub definitely does not have its own power supply. Sounds like you need an Ethernet to USB-C adapter as well.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You need this. It works with this.

Yup. Or one of these. I happen to know these will work. Use them myself.

Reactions: matrix07 and chabig

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
Yup. Or one of these. I happen to know these will work. Use them myself.
That is great. I will have a look at this• Thanks.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
So your hub definitely does not have its own power supply. Sounds like you need an Ethernet to USB-C adapter as well.
Hi. Back again... I have been checking this out but cannot find one compatible with MBA M2 13" I found 15". Will it make a difference? Maybe the connection is different? Contacted Apple support. The guy was helpful, but had NO IDEA. It was suggested I try an "expert" at a store. I am surprised by this lack of knowledge, and the fact that there are so few ports unlike the Pro I had. Thanks-

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One thing of which to be aware: there are two versions of the Superdrive -- the original version (which came out in 2008 (or thereabouts) plus a later, updated version. It does look as though you do have the newer version. It should work with an adapter. With my M1 MBP I use Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, and that works just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Boreham

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
It's all the same. I can confirm this one works w/ your MBA. My wife has the same MBA and she uses this adapter.
One thing of which to be aware: there are two versions of the Superdrive -- the original version (which came out in 2008 (or thereabouts) plus a later, updated version. It does look as though you do have the newer version. It should work with an adapter. With my M1 MBP I use Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, and that works just fine.
I bought it in 2013 with a new MacBook Pro. I will buy this adapter. Thanks for your advice.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If, after all your trials and tribulations, you STILL can't get the SuperDrive working, then I suggest you buy a 3rd-party (NOT Apple) USB DVD/CD drive and try that instead...:cool:

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
OP:

If, after all your trials and tribulations, you STILL can't get the SuperDrive working, then I suggest you buy a 3rd-party (NOT Apple) USB DVD/CD drive and try that instead...:cool:
Yes, good idea. I expect Amazon will get fed up of me sending stuff back. I await my current order with my fingers crossed.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
Just to say thanks for all who helped. Finally sorted, and working well, even the Superdrive.
This is what did the trick:

Anker USB C Adapter (2 Pack),High-Speed Data Transfer, USB-C to USB 3.0 Female Adapter - only around €8 from Amazon.​

It is good to know there are some wise folks out there. Apple Store failed dismally on this question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.