Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayne905

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Maple, Ontario, Canada
For the past two weeks I have been having problems sending iCloud emails using my MacBook Pro using the Mac mail app. I am in Canada and I use Bell Canada as my Internet provider.

As I mentioned, this whole issue started about two weeks ago. There is the odd email that I can send from my Mac that will actually go through. But 99% of the emails that I use as a test do not. When I send an email, it looks as though it's sent. I get the swoosh sound and it delays sending for 15 seconds or so. And then it just never sends and I don't get any error message. For all intents and purposes, it looks like it sent however, it never appears in the sent folder, nor did it ever come into my inb

I have called Apple support a few times and just today they had me go and send all the mail logs to them. There engineers are supposed to look and see if they are able to figure out the problem.

I have just gone ahead and reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled the OS and done a clean install and re-imported my iCloud emails. However, even with this clean install the issue still persists.

I am beginning to wonder if the issue perhaps lies with Bell Canada my Internet service provider. I cannot figure out why all of a sudden my mail stopped working when it's been fine for years up until then. Is there anyone else who uses Bell Canada that is having a similar issue?

One other thing to note is that my iPhone, and iPad have no problem sending mail using the Apple iOS app for Mail while connected to my same Bell Canada Wi-Fi. It's just the Mac Mail app on my MacBook that seems to have the issue.

I'm really having a tough time figuring this out, and I am trying to go through various options to figure out the common denominator. But I have not had any luck thus far.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I probably am not helping but, after using Apple Mail for several years I started having inconsistencies - mail not appearing, some not sending, and not being able to receive anything more than 20mb in attachments had me looking elsewhere for my mail - moved back to Fastmail (had used it for many years after trying Apple Mail's custom domain feature). Couldn't be happier.

For the most part Apple Mail wasn't bad, but for the few small problems I couldn't fix or troubleshoot, I decided to leave despite it being "free" (included with my Apple Premier subscription).

wayne905

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Maple, Ontario, Canada
Just an update on this...

1. Earlier in the week, I went to a coffee shop that used a different ISP (Rogers), and the issue still persisted...so that ruled out my ISP (Bell Canada)
2. I just spoke with Apple 2nd level tech. He heard back from engineering, and it turns out by turning off the delay when sending emails, it seems to have resolved the issue. Who would have thought?? It turns out Apple knows of this issue that happens for some people and will be updating the issue with a future update.

So it looks like (for now) that my emails now send. Fingers crossed it continues to work. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

• Wow
Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.