Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camaysar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Brooklyn
Macbook Pro mid-2015. El Capitan 10.11.4
Computer uses inappropriate apps to open files. Instead of textedit, it opens Terminal; instead of Preview it opens MPEG Streamclip. Dragged photos result in blank icons. When I change the default apps by the usual method (using the "get info" box), they soon revert to the previous wrong apps.

Why, for example, would a file set to open with textedit open a new terminal window instead?? Or a .JPG photo file open with a movie application (MPEG Streamclip), after being set to use Preview?

I've mentioned this before here - can it possibly be that I am the first person to ever experience this?

Any advice would be appreciated... thanks!

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Macbook Pro mid-2015. El Capitan 10.11.4
Computer uses inappropriate apps to open files. Instead of textedit, it opens Terminal; instead of Preview it opens MPEG Streamclip. Dragged photos result in blank icons. When I change the default apps by the usual method (using the "get info" box), they soon revert to the previous wrong apps.

Why, for example, would a file set to open with textedit open a new terminal window instead?? Or a .JPG photo file open with a movie application (MPEG Streamclip), after being set to use Preview?

I've mentioned this before here - can it possibly be that I am the first person to ever experience this?

Any advice would be appreciated... thanks!
File a bug report with Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.