Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drennan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
London
Hi. I've just networked my Mac laptop and PC through a wireless router. They both connect to the internet with no problems and i can ping between machines. I need to access the PC hard drive from the mac but I cant connect and am getting the following error "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (Error code -50)". I've followed the steps at http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X. I have also googled this and tried everything i can find but still no luck. I've added 'local' to 'search domains' in network prefs (as per apple website) and tried the following steps from a forum but am still getting the error message.

step 1 : download smbfs.kext.zip
step 2 : open terminal (located in applications / utilities)
step 3 : sudo -s (then enter root password)
step 4 : rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
step 5 : cd /Users/yourusername/Desktop
step 6 : unzip smbfs.kext.zip
step 7 : cp -R smbfs.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
step 8 : rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
step 9 : rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
step 10 : chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
step 11 : chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
step 12 : shutdown -r now

When I SMB, it does connect to the XP machine and accepts my windows password and gives a list of available drives but the error message pops up as soon as i select a drive. So it looks like comms is working but it just wont let me access the drive. Any help would be appreciated as i've spent lots of time over the last few weeks trying to get these machines to talk through wireless and am almost there! Thanks guys, Dren.

EDIT: Or is there an alternative to SMB, i.e. running an FTP server on the PC and accessing the directories over the LAN, or something similar?

drennan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
London
I got it working!! I downloaded some software called 'dave'. I disabled SMB in sharing prefs and its all working at last! Hope this helps someone else. Not a fix as such but at least I can access my files now. Dren

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.