Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Since installing iOS 11 I am finding my iPhone (OTA update this evening) and iPad (clean install of the GM last week) are replacing -- (dash dash) with what I think is an em dash (—). I've tried creating a Text Replacement to map -- to -- in an attempt to trick it but that has not worked. Anyone else noted this? Anyone know how to stop it please? As a user of *nix I find -- very useful to be able to type in messages.

Thanks in advance, Alec

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since installing iOS 11 I am finding my iPhone (OTA update this evening) and iPad (clean install of the GM last week) are replacing -- (dash dash) with what I think is an em dash (—). I've tried creating a Text Replacement to map -- to -- in an attempt to trick it but that has not worked. Anyone else noted this? Anyone know how to stop it please? As a user of *nix I find -- very useful to be able to type in messages.

Thanks in advance, Alec
Have you tried changing some keyboard settings, like the one at Settings > General > Keyboards > Smart Punctuation

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Have you tried changing some keyboard settings, like the one at Settings > General > Keyboards > Smart Punctuation
Grrrr, thought I'd tried that but clearly not. Also thought it was "Smart quotes" not "Smart punctuation". I suppose for 95% of users an auto replace of -- with an em dash is smart punctuation, however as a *nix user it's not quite so smart.

Thanks @C DM, sorry you had to point that out to me :(

Reactions: tphalp and C DM

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
If you happen to be using a hardware keyboard, ALT + –– leads to what you see here. They’re slightly longer dashes (the name escapes me) but should fit your purpose I think?

If you’re not @C DM’s suggestion seems a good start.
[doublepost=1505853903][/doublepost]Update: If you are using the software keyboard a long press on the dash key and selecting the short dash also prevents the auto “correction” :p It’s obviously relatively slow though.

Edit: Welp, I’m too slow :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.