Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hi,
I'm new to the Mac world and cannot find how to solve this wireless problem with my G4.

I have a Linksys wireless router, to which 4 PC's are currently hooked up to and this one Mac. My Mac says I am connected to the Linksys/network via Airport Extreme...with a proper IP and subnet mask....however I cannot surf on Safari, Firefox or send/recieve email.
Connecting via ethernet works fine....just cannot connect wirelessly.

Would someone be able to give me a hand in how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Or you could type in your primary dns in the list of dns servers this may work, I had the same problem some time ago with my BT router but this sorted the problem out.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Have you tried resetting your Linksys wireless router?
Is the ethernet cable still attached when trying to connect via wireless?

Danib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hi again and thanks for your replies :)

Mad Jew - I have tried that several times...no go unfortunately
cwedl - I had entered the DNS numbers myself to see if that would resolve the problem...that didn't work either.
Pressure - That I haven't done yet...I'll try that when I get home and see if that will work...I'll post back with the results. (thanks guys :) )

I forgot to mention...Pressure - The ethernet cable is not plugged in at the time. Also...my router does see it, does assign it an IP, it says I am connected....just can't surf and my email says "working Offline"

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Is your Mac fully updated :)apple: menu > Software Update)? Apple just released OS 10.4.9 yesterday, and that fixed the wireless problems my mom was having on her iMac.

Danib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for responding Zephead

It was up to date until yesterday :)
So I will give that a try this eve as well and see if that works.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Danib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'm back...and I am finally at my wits end.
Pressure: I tried resetting the router and it didn't work. It did however, this time, give me the 169.254.137.68 ip address with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
Zephead: I updated, but...didn't work.

I don't know what else to do at this point....:confused:

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

jtuchelt

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2007
Hello Danib, The first thing I'd recommend is to powercycle your modem and router, you may have already tried this but just to make sure I would unplug all cables including power, ethernet, and your internet line from the wall.-Leave all cables uplugged for ten minutes, then plug them back in.

If you are still having trouble I would suggest removing all system configuration settings by going into:
Mac HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration-Move the entire SystemConfiguration folder into the trash, then restart the computer(The system configuration folder will be reproduced with default settings on startup).
The go back into Network Preferences and configure all of your settings again.

If you are still having issues try to contact Linkseys for any firmware/software updates available.

Danib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hello again,

Thought I would add an update for you all.
I still cannot connect via my linksys router wirelessly, I can with the ethernet.

jtuchel - I went and did what you suggested....still doesnt work. Thanks however for the suggestion :)

What is interesting is when I went to connect to a wireless network and chose my neighbours instead of mine, it connected immediately and I was able to surf, receive emails...etc With his router (Netgear).

With mine...no go. I updated the firmware on the router....still no go.

Any other suggestions?

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
Does your router have an access list ?

If the G4 isn't on the list it'll still connect and get an IP address, but not allow any real traffic.

When you're on the wireless, open the Network utility and try a traceroute on something like google. That should tell you how far out into the outside world you can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.