Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AversaS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Yesterday I attempted to update my MacBook Pro (I believe it’s a late 2012 model) to High Sierra.

When I did, I receive and error message that said “Mac OS Could Not Be Installed On Your Computer. The operation could not be completed. (com.apple.Disk management error 0.) Quit installer to restart your computer and try again.”

When I restart my computer, I have to do so in recovery mode, go into Disk Utilities to unlock and remount my hard drive.

Thankfully, I can see that my data is still saved on the drive.

When I try to boot up from my HD, it does not show up. When I try to reinstall High Sierra, it puts me back into the same loop.

I can’t even get to my desktop to delete the install and try again.

I’m stuck in a loop of trying to install High Sierra, not working, remounting my hard drive, trying to install High Sierra.....

Please help!

MeasterHD

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
Miami
Boot while holding the Command and R keys on the keyboard. Select Disk Utility. Select your hard drive from the sidebar. Click Repair Disk.

AversaS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I did that. It still will not let me boot up from my hard drive. After unlocking my hard drive, mounting it, running first aid, it still does not show up as a bootable drive. When I restart, it just leads me back to High Sierra’s install window.

Then it fails, I have to go back into recovery - and it starts all over again.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Boot while holding the Command and R keys on the keyboard. Select Disk Utility. Select your hard drive from the sidebar. Click Repair Disk.
That has worked for me but I think my install has been failing at an earlier stage than @AversaS and @maccos have reached.

When you boot while holding the Command and R keys, there is an option to reinstall from your Time Machine backup, have any of you attempted this yet?

AversaS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t have a time machine backup. My stupid back up is on Carbonite. That’s a last case scenario, considering it takes days upon days to download nearly 300 gb of data.

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Try the last key sequence in the table on the following page:

https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT204904

This should allow you to install an earlier version of the OS. You can then restore your work from your Carbonite backup. Not an ideal solution, but an interim one that gets you running at least.

Edit: you can try and re-install to an external disk if you have one available. This will keep your main partition intact and allow you to copy data off that partition to the restored one. You could then clone back to the original disk or just do a fresh recovery and copy the data back again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.