Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanzbulldog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
I can no longer update my iPhone Xr, iPad Air 2 with my iMac or MacbookPro. both under HighSierra 10.13.6 - iTunes 12.8.2.3?

procedure:

1. INFO display iPad: display indicates support.apple.com/ipad/restore
2. plugin to MacbookPro and run iTunes
3. INFO on display MBP: "Your iPad cannot be updated; restore it to restore factory settings. If you have previously backed up iPad, click” Restore backup after the restore process is complete.
4. Click on “Recover”
5. INFO on display MBP: connect to update server iPad
6. INFO on display MBP: Are you sure you want to restore the iPad to factory settings? This will erase all media and other data and install the latest version of the iPad software. The restored software is verified at Apple ……… .etc.
7. Click Recovery and Update
8.INFO on display MBP: "Your iPad cannot be updated; restore it to restore factory settings. If you have previously backed up iPad, click” Restore backup after the restore process is complete.
9 INFO on display MBP: Are you sure you want to restore the iPad to factory settings? This will erase all media and other data and install the latest version of the iPad software. The restored software is verified at Apple ……… .etc.
10. INFO At the top of the menu bar in iTunes: Extract software
11. INFO on display MBP: Could not establish connection with iPad software update server. An unknown error has occurred (-18).
12. Click OK
13. Prepare iPad software for recovery
14. INFO display iPad: the  logo with progressing gray bar
15. INFO At the top of the menu bar in iTunes: Restore iPad software
16. INFO display iPad: the  logo with progressing gray bar 25% white, SUDDENLY FREEZE!
17. INFO on display MBP: The iPad cannot be restored. An unknown error has occurred (14).
18. Click OK
19. INFO on display MBP: 3 options Delete iPad Update or Restore iPad.

Whatever choice i make, then everything starts all over again, but without result. Same problem with my iPhone XR

Would like someone advice
Thanks in advance!

One more thing...
This is also a nice example how Apple force you to buy new stuff, because I need to update the latest version of iTunes, and OSx, that I can't do because HighSierra is the last update i can do on both machines Mbpro 2011 and imac i7 27 inch 2010.
GREAT!

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Have you tried updating your iPad / iPhone by just tapping: Settings > General > Software Update?

You are two macOS upgrades behind and still physically connecting your devices and it surprises you things are not working. That surprises me.

This is also a nice example how Apple force you to buy new stuff, because I need to update the latest version of iTunes, and OSx, that I can't do because HighSierra is the last update i can do on both machines Mbpro 2011 and imac i7 27 inch 2010.
GREAT!
These devices are 10 years old. How old is your car? Your house? Your kids? Your dog? A computer year is 22 human years. In my mind your computer is still doing pretty freaking great!

If you MUST connect your devices, try downloading Apple Configurator ( not sure it will work with Sierra, but it might ). Then update your devices via Configurator. Plug them both in, select both, Command Click > Select Update or Restore as desired.

lanzbulldog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Have you tried updating your iPad / iPhone by just tapping: Settings > General > Software Update?

You are two macOS upgrades behind and still physically connecting your devices and it surprises you things are not working. That surprises me.

These devices are 10 years old. How old is your car? Your house? Your kids? Your dog? A computer year is 22 human years. In my mind your computer is still doing pretty freaking great!

If you MUST connect your devices, try downloading Apple Configurator ( not sure it will work with Sierra, but it might ). Then update your devices via Configurator. Plug them both in, select both, Command Click > Select Update or Restore as desired.

lanzbulldog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Thanks for the advice, but their is no way to get an Apple Configurator version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.