Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I need to use .jnlp files but I have Yosemite. I have Java 6 and 8 installed. When I try to launch a jnlp file, it says I need the Java Runtime Environment. It wants to use Java 7 which I do not have and cannot install.

How do I use .jnlp files on Yosemite? Is there a way to make them use Java 8 or 6?

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
OS X security and .jnlp files

If you can't install 7 (I'll not ask why), then install the released version of 8. When I last checked, on Mavericks, .jnlp files worked as expected within the user's preferred levels of security for the operating system.

You might find it necessary to Control-Click the file.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I do have Java 8. I have Java 6 and 8. But jnlp files want Java 7. But Java 7 has not been updated to allow installation with Yosemite like Java 8 has. If I try to install Java 7 it will refuse.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
OK, thanks for the detail.

I'll start Yosemite and investigate. If I can offer additional advice without breaking confidentiality, I will.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Oracle's JDK 7 Update 67.pkg will not install with Apple's Installer.app – probably not an issue with Yosemite. I doubt that Oracle will rush to update an installer for 7 when Version 8 Update 20 is a (greater) recommended version.

The first .jnlp file that I tested worked with Java 8. Environment:

Mashemite:~ grahamperrin$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)

Simply visiting http://research.seevogh.com/check.html will cause that .jnlp to download.

Not specific to Yosemite: reveal the file in Finder, then a Control-Click will allow the file to be opened.

… jnlp files want Java 7. …

Is the Java app that you wish to run not yet compatible with Java 8?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Oracle's JDK 7 Update 67.pkg will not install with Apple's Installer.app – probably not an issue with Yosemite. I doubt that Oracle will rush to update an installer for 7 when Version 8 Update 20 is a (greater) recommended version.

The first .jnlp file that I tested worked with Java 8. Environment:

Mashemite:~ grahamperrin$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)

Simply visiting http://research.seevogh.com/check.html will cause that .jnlp to download.

Not specific to Yosemite: reveal the file in Finder, then a Control-Click will allow the file to be opened.

Is the Java app that you wish to run not yet compatible with Java 8?

No, I tried three Java apps including yours and they all want Java 7.
Here is my version:
java version "1.8.0_11"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_11-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.11-b03, mixed mode)

It looks like you are using 1.8.0_20 but I am using 1.8.0_11. I thought I had the latest version. I will try to get the latest version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.