Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
So, I have recently discovered an issue where by if I copy files directly off the SD card with it inserted into my computer that they are not right (see attached). If I copy them off the SD card with it in the camera, they are fine and can be viewed on the PC without any issues. I can live with that for now.

Recently I took some photos and not knowing about the above issue did a cut and paste onto my computer where I found I had this issue. Straight away I took an image of the SD card and have put it aside. I have restored the image to other SD cards to see if any of the recovery software can help me but they all have issues. Just to be clear they can all recover the files but this is with the SD card plugged into my computer which has the same issue as above. I can't find any software which will undelete the files on the SD card (which is different from recovering them to a different location). The other option would be software that can see the SD card while it is plugged into the camera. When I plug the camera into my computer I can see it as a device (not a drive) and I am yet to see any recovery software that can connect to it.

Not to confuse the issue but when I open the folder the files are in and change to view as icons they initially appear correctly but shortly after change as per the picture. About every 7th photo is fine and some are worse than others. The photos below are the worst ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
sample.jpg

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
try a new card reader.
I have tried two different card readers. I use these same card readers for moving my gopro footage around and I dont have any issues with them. I have also tried using two different computers.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
have you tried different cards? i’m unclear from your op on that point.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I didn't notice the names of any of the computers you're using.
Which computer model is failing?
Which OS version is it running?

Does the problem occur on more than one SD card, or only with a single card?

The screenshot appears to show an Icon view in Finder.
Have you opened the images in an app like Preview, and confirmed whether the image itself matches the corrupted Finder icon?
I ask this because I think Finder might read a thumbnail from the iamge file, rather than the image itself, and it would be possible to have a damaged thumbnail with an intact image. Or the problem could be vice versa: intact thumbnail and damaged image.

How is the SD card formatted: FAT16, FAT32, ExFAT, etc.?
It should be possible to use any file-recovery software that works with the file-system format to recover data. This assumes that data is recoverable at all.

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
I see this issue on all computers I use, they are Win10 and 11.

The issue happens ion several cards with several card readers.

The image is the same when I open it in a photo viewer or editor.

I find that when I copy the files off the SD card with the card in my camera I dont have this issue.

Just to be clear about what Im trying to do, I am looking for software that can either

1. undelete the files directly on the SD card (not recovery them as this is not the same)
2. That can recover the files with the Sd card in my camera (this should replicate coping the files with the SD card in the camera which works).

The data is 100% recoverable, the issue is that when I do it with the card connected directly to my computer I end up with the same result.

I have tested coping the files with the SD card in the camera and this works with other cards that I took some test photos. The test photos have the same problem as per the attached picture if I connect the SD card directly to my computer and copy them. My issue is that the previous photos were cut and pasted and there for are no longer on the card as visible files. Hence I am look for option one or two to help recover the files.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Just to make sure I understand your situation here:
You're not using any Mac computers at all.​
You're only using Windows computers.​

Is that correct?

If this is correct, then the software you're asking for would be Windows-based software. Although there are some members here who use both Mac and Windows, this is primarily a site for people who use Macs and other Apple products. I'm not saying you won't find any suggestions at all, just that you might be better off asking on a site that caters more to Windows users.

If my summary is incorrect, and you are actually using a Mac, and the Mac shows the same problem you describe, then please identify the Mac model and which OS version it's running.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

The issue happens ion several cards with several card readers.

The image is the same when I open it in a photo viewer or editor.

I find that when I copy the files off the SD card with the card in my camera I dont have this issue.

Just to be clear about what Im trying to do, I am looking for software that can either

1. undelete the files directly on the SD card (not recovery them as this is not the same)
2. That can recover the files with the Sd card in my camera (this should replicate coping the files with the SD card in the camera which works).

The data is 100% recoverable, the issue is that when I do it with the card connected directly to my computer I end up with the same result.

I have tested coping the files with the SD card in the camera and this works with other cards that I took some test photos. The test photos have the same problem as per the attached picture if I connect the SD card directly to my computer and copy them. My issue is that the previous photos were cut and pasted and there for are no longer on the card as visible files. Hence I am look for option one or two to help recover the files.

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish, however...........

You should not be storing images on your sd card. Anything you shoot should be transferred onto your computer (or thumb drive if necessary).

If I understand you correctly, you do have a way to get the images from the camera into your computer.

If this is an issue with multiple cards and multiple computers, then there might be something wrong with the camera.

Last edited:

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
Just to make sure I understand your situation here:
You're not using any Mac computers at all.​
You're only using Windows computers.​

Is that correct?

If this is correct, then the software you're asking for would be Windows-based software. Although there are some members here who use both Mac and Windows, this is primarily a site for people who use Macs and other Apple products. I'm not saying you won't find any suggestions at all, just that you might be better off asking on a site that caters more to Windows users.

If my summary is incorrect, and you are actually using a Mac, and the Mac shows the same problem you describe, then please identify the Mac model and which OS version it's running.
Thanks for letting me know.

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish, however...........

You should not be storing images on your sd card. Anything you shoot should be transferred onto your computer (or thumb drive if necessary).

If I understand you correctly, you do have a way to get the images from the camera into your computer.

If this is an issue with multiple cards and multiple computers, then there might be something wrong with the camera.

Hey, na , Im not storing images on my camera, it might be worth going back and reading my original post in full to understand what is happening and the two solutions I need.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
500D? That’s like 15 years old. My guess is the camera.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
If I am reading the original post correctly; You had the card connected to your computer and deleted files on the card while connected to the computer. When you say cut and paste presumably you mean that you (or your management software) cut the file from the card, and pasted the file to your computer. I am deducing that the was the method you used to transfer file to your computer and the files you cut and pasted were corrupt and therefore lost? In effect you made blind (unviewed) copies and deleted the originals?

Only slightly off topic but it gives me a chance to reinforce one of the cardinal rules of digital photography:
Never manipulate files on your camera card via your computer. SD cards have a sliding lock to prevent accidental erasures or writes. Use that lock when transferring files, either via card reader or directly from the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
To add to what OldMacs4Me says above, also never format the memory card in the computer; always format it in the camera. For example, after I have completed a shooting session, I put the card in the card reader and transfer the files directly to my desktop. I then take a quick look to be sure all is well and then eject the card reader and remove the card from it. If I have time, I usually go ahead and do a fast review of all the the images and cull out any that I know I'll never edit, and maybe will edit one or two. At some point after that I then put the card back into the camera and immediately format it so that it is cleared and ready for the next shooting session.

Reactions: OldMacs4Me

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Beyond what Clix Pix added. I do a quick back-up immediately after reviewing my images. Before formatting the card I will do standard back-up, which is on a different drive than the one I use for daily-working back-ups.

Reactions: Clix Pix

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
Hey guys , thanks for all the advice on best practice, please only post in this thread if you have a solution to undeleting the files directly on the card or recoverying them with the SD card in the camera.

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
Looks like I have found the issue, it appears that the later Windows operating systems cause the issue where the files are copied with the SD card in the computer. I went back to Windows 7 and installed Disk Drill and I was able to recover the files from my original SD card. They preview and view fine. If I move the card to a Windows 10 or 11 computer and use the same software they have to issue.

bozmanx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2023
I agree, I thought the reference to Mac was as in Mrs Mac or something. I decided to post in the forum as it was the only google hit that was anywhere close to my issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.