Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Nikon lenses probably are not any better optically than any other major brand. That said Nikon gear is designed to take a lot of use and even abuse, which probably explains why their lenses are heavier than Canon equivalents.

This may or may not enter into the equation depending on how you intend to use the camera.

I've been playing with an older Canon EOS 4 and have been quite pleased with the optical quality of both the 18-55 and the 55-200mm kit lenses. That version weighs 2KG including the carry bag, spare batteries and charger. Make it 2.15KG should you feel the need to add the manual to your tote. Can't speak to the overall durability of the lenses as this camera has not seen a lot of use.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
At least for the "big boy" lenses, back in the 70s Nikon and Canon started making a serious effort to fix chromatic aberration in long, fast lenses. Nikon started using "Extra-Low Dispersion" glass to fix this. It worked great and was really durable, but heavy. They were proud enough of it to start putting gold rings on the barrels of lenses using it.

Meanwhile, Canon figured out how to grow and polish huge Calcium Fluorite crystals as lens elements. The results were superb and the fluorite element is very lightweight, but could also be delicate and, probably most significantly, had a lot of focus drift as temperatures changed(more so than glass). They were proud enough of it to paint a green ring around the barrel to show it off. A few years later, along with a "refresh" of the lens mount design, they started painting Fluorite lenses white supposedly to make them less resitant to heating up in the sun(and also make them instantly recognizable), and then adding a ring of red paint and the L designation on any lens with either an aspherical or fluorite element.

For comparison on these early lenses, the Auto-NIKKOR 300mm 1:2.8 ED was 2.6kg(5.72lbs) while the Canon FD 300mm 1:2.8 S.S.C. Fluorite was 1.9kg(4.18lbs).

Incidentally, the gold rings stuck around to show ED lenses at Nikon, and then later when even $100 kit lenses started using aspherical elements and ED glass to designate high end lenses. Canon started using the red ring to mark a high-end lens even though a lot of lenses at all price points now use aspherical elements.

Nikon finally caved in and started using fluorite a few years ago. The one that comes to mind for me is the 70-200mm f/2.8E FL, although I think one of the exotic super-teles used it first. If you compare the 70-200mm f/2.8E FL to the 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII, the E FL version is about 100g less(1425g vs. 1532g) despite being a 22 element lens and the older lens 21 elements. Nikon never made an F mount 300mm f/2.8 FL, so it's hard to say if it would have been lighter. If you go out to the 400mm f/2.8, the newest non-FL is 4.6kg and the FL is 3.8kg.

BTW, to go back to the 70-200 zoom, Canon's newest/most current EF mount version is 1.6kg with the tripod collar(the collar isn't readily removable on the Nikon, but it loses another 70g if you take the foot off).

With that said, none of this plays into a 10 year old thread on the D5100 and 600D. They're both great-buy the one you like better. That's still true, especially at the bottom end of the market. Actually a lot of it's still true at the top end of the market too unless you get into a fringe case where one brand offers a certain lens that the other doesn't, You can split hairs about how one flagship body might be better than another for AF speed, noise, frame rate, or whatever but it's pretty rare that one brand has a make-or-break feature that the other brand doesn't have.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Weirdly, I don't know why, the post that reopened this 10 year old thread almost seemed ChatGPT-like in substance. I've been staring at it too much at work I think :). And obviously, that's the sort of question you could ask the tool.

Reactions: bunnspecial

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
And interestingly, here's a question/response from ChatGPT 4.0. I definitely prefer when we engage our own brains, but I expect we'll see more of this here and elsewhere.
------------------------------------------

My Question: Can you produce a forum post comparing Canon 600D vs Nikon D5100

Response: Sure, here's a sample forum post comparing the Canon 600D and Nikon D5100:

Hey everyone,
I'm in the market for an entry-level DSLR camera and I'm stuck between the Canon 600D and Nikon D5100. Both cameras seem to have similar features and prices, so I'm having a hard time deciding between them. Here's what I've gathered so far:
When it comes to the camera body, your personal preference and shooting style should drive your decision. Since both the D5100 and 600D share similar features, it solely depends on your choice.
Regarding the bundled 18-55mm lenses, I've noticed that the Canon lens is remarkably smaller. This is a consistent trend that Canon has set as they manufacture smaller lenses compared to their Nikon counterparts. The advantage of having smaller lenses includes convenience and portability. However, remember that small size and weight aren't the only aspects to think about when choosing a camera system.
As it pertains to performance quality and preference, it's subjective, and it varies from person to person. Nonetheless, concerning overall image quality and features, I would suggest the Nikon D5100 over the Canon 600D.
The D5100 has more advanced attributes compared to 600D, such as a higher resolution sensor, better low light performance, and a more advanced autofocus system. Moreover, the D5100 has a faster maximum shutter speed and a longer battery life.
In conclusion, both cameras are excellent choices. However, my standpoint is that the D5100 would be a wiser investment in the long run. That said, you should try out both cameras in person and see which one you feel most comfortable with. Ultimately, the choice depends on your personal preferences and needs.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: bunnspecial
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.