Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Hello everyone, im just starting out in digtial cameras, and these were the two models i was looking at, they are in the same price range and i know are somewhat similar in functions.

which would you choose and why?

SD500: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=11157
A620: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

Side by Side: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/co...categoryid=113&modelid8=11157&modelid16=12072

(hopefully the links will work)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
In the comparison chart... much the same of everything!
IMO, they are nearly exactly the same, but one weighs half a pound. (w/o crazy-heavy batteries)

Put it in a man-bag!

look! someone answered your thread! and to think you were worrying! :p

I'd get the a620 because I can get some cheap rechargeables and stick them in instead of funky special battery.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
PlaceofDis said:
...they are in the same price range and i know are somewhat similar in functions.

Actually, the big difference between the two is in their functions. The SD500 is really just a point and shoot kind of camera. The A620, on the other hand, has also sorts of semi-pro features that let amateurs dabble in "pro" photography. On the A-series cameras, you can set it to full auto, or you can manually control settings such as aperture and white balance and shutter speed.

I'm pretty sure that this is the major difference between the two, but other members are much more experienced in photography and can correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Check the differences in the "Shooting Mode" section of comparison chart.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Macaddicttt said:
Actually, the big difference between the two is in their functions. The SD500 is really just a point and shoot kind of camera. The A620, on the other hand, has also sorts of semi-pro features that let amateurs dabble in "pro" photography. On the A-series cameras, you can set it to full auto, or you can manually control settings such as aperture and white balance and shutter speed.

I'm pretty sure that this is the major difference between the two, but other members are much more experienced in photography and can correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Check the differences in the "Shooting Mode" section of comparison chart.

thanks, so its looking like the A620 would definitely be better for me then, i'm just getting started yeah, but would rather have more options available to me than the SD500 it looks like.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Also the A620 has a 4x as opposed to a 3x optical zoom and can get closer to an object as well. Plus all of the extra manual features you get.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I actually own the A620 and one of my good friends has the SD550 (not the SD500 like you said) and based on picture quality, the A620 is much better.

The only thing I don't like about the A620 is that you need to adjust it, like a pro camera, to get amazing shots (w/o adjusting the shots are really good though), whereas the SD550 you just shoot it and it comes out the same...

... but its easy to adjust on the A620.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
dotdotdot said:
I actually own the A620 and one of my good friends has the SD550 (not the SD500 like you said) and based on picture quality, the A620 is much better.

The only thing I don't like about the A620 is that you need to adjust it, like a pro camera, to get amazing shots (w/o adjusting the shots are really good though), whereas the SD550 you just shoot it and it comes out the same...

... but its easy to adjust on the A620.

thank you dotdotdot. i would guess that the average picture on both are the same? and that you're able to get better ones with the A620 through the advanced functions and settings?

thanks again, its nice to have someone who has seen and used both before give advice.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
yippy said:
Also the A620 has a 4x as opposed to a 3x optical zoom and can get closer to an object as well. Plus all of the extra manual features you get.

I was going to point this out too. The A620 has a focal range of 35-140mm (35 equiv) whereas the SD500 has a range of 37-111. The apertures are also different....the A620 having f4.1 @ 140mm whereas the SD500 having f4.9 @ 111mm, basically resulting in faster pictures at a longer range, which I would say is nicer. You can always get a faster shutter or decrease the aperture (larger #) but it's harder to make things faster.

All of that mumbo-jumbo coupled with the semi-pro features that let you explore make the A620 my vote ;)

but just to play devil's advocate, look at the Coach Gift Set of the SD500 :rolleyes:

sd500_coach_gift_set.jpg

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I too would consider the A620 or for my own purposes I would go for the A610 for myself. Either way you can use "over the counter" rechargeable batteries and not have to worry about some recall like there is for the Nikon DSLR's at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.