Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sp00rk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
I just purchased a Canon IP3000 printer.

In the print dialog box, some quality levels cannot be selected depending on the media type. For example, for matte photo paper, I can't select the most detailed setting.

Is there anyway around this? Why can't I select the most detailed quality for any media type? I tried Gimp Print but I don't think it supports my printer.

Any help would be appreciated.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I have noticed that Canon has really crappy support when it comes to Mac drivers and the sort. I have a Canoscan Lide 80 and i could never get it to work right on any of my Macs :( Good luck, maybe check the Canon site for an update?

Ed

sp00rk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
thanks for the links.

but, tried installing some of the software from the cups website without any success

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Wow. I moved to this printer after terrible experiences with HP inkjet drivers. The Canon drivers seem to have far more features and I am delighted with the performance of the printer.

(I haven't tried doing what the original poster said though)

(DVD printing is great though!)

jfw

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2003
sp00rk said:
I just purchased a Canon IP3000 printer.

In the print dialog box, some quality levels cannot be selected depending on the media type. For example, for matte photo paper, I can't select the most detailed setting.

That's probably because they expect that on matte photo paper, the ink drops will spread to the point where at best, the extra time spent printing finer resolution will not result in a better image, and at worst, it could blur to the point where the image will be worse than with larger droplets spaced further apart. It's possible they're just trying to sell their own brand of photo paper, but it's likely this restriction results from the fundamental physics of the printing process.

I've got an iP3000, and I've been delighted with the quality of photo prints, even without bothering to change the resolution from the default settings. It has been trouble free, unlike the stream of HP printers it replaced, and its two-sided printing mode works, unlike the HP duplexer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.