Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmehtarmehta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
Hello,
I am new to macOS. Started working with Macbook Air (macOS High Sierra 10.13.2).
I already have Canon LASER SHOT LBP 2900 B printer with me. Unfortunatley this printer is not working with this laptop.
Kindly guide me, I am too stressed. Thanx in advance.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I live in Japan and got my ( 16 year old ) Canon LBP 1610 ( A3 format ) working flawlessly in both Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra .

What is crucial is that you have a Canon LBP 2900 driver that ALLOWS you to install in Hi Sierra even if the driver is for a lower OS X version.

In my case I was luck enough to have just ONE driver ( out of about 15 older / newer drivers that were probably for OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard but It actually allowed me to install in Mavericks + Sierra + High Sierra .. weird !

Anyway, it you have one driver that will ALLOW you to install in High Sierra go to Step 1.

Here is my post about STEP 1.

( post #476)
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...13-works-does-not-work-thread.2048660/page-19

Step 1

Try this first. Go slowly, follow ALL the steps in "Step 1" to the letter

====================================================

( AGAIN ) What is absolutely crucial is that you have a Canon LBP 2900 driver that ALLOWS you to install in Hi Sierra.

If it is still not printing ..

Step 2.

If you have either an El Capitan or Sierra install where the LBP 2900 is printing .. . . .
Compare ( library/Printers/Installed Printers.plist ) FROM an already working mac OS to the same .plist in Hi Sierra.

if the LBP 2900 is not listed. . .copy the LBP 2900 ( ONLY ! ) entry ( Use TextEdit ) to the same library/Printers/Installed Printers.plist in High Sierra.

Shut down - reboot - try a test print

I'm pretty sure that we can get it working.

Good luck.

PS : If you have an external hard drive, install Sierra & then the Sierra driver for the LBP 2900 on it and look at the ( Library/Printers/Installed printer.plist

If you cannot do that, PM me.

Last edited:

rmehtarmehta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
Tried these steps. drivers intalled. LBP 2900B is showing well as default printer. But when u give print command, it fails to print at all. Msg shown is
You need to install software to use this printer. To install the software, choose App Store… from the Apple menu. If the software for your printer isn’t available in App Store…, contact the manufacturer of your printer.

rmehtarmehta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
Got some other help. Now this msg is not shown but it still fails to print. It shows "printing" but soon the printer window vanishes n appears in status monitor at the base
i m worried whether it wil work or not?

jamesmccoy

Suspended
Jun 7, 2018
Monahans, Texas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.