Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Model Canon Camera Should I Get?

• EOS M50 Mk II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EOS M6 Mk II

• EOS RP

• EOS R10

• EOS M200

• Total voters

IT Provisor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2022
California, USA
For all Canon camera users out there, what camera is best for photos AND video? I plan to use my first foray into traditional cameras and have always been a fan of Canon's cameras because of their ergonomics, color profile, and overall quality. With that said, I was looking into their various mirrorless cameras, with my top contenders for APS-C cameras being the M50 Mkii and the M6 Mkii (both very popular options, especially the former). However, I know that they've been out for a couple of years now and there's a new model from Canon that just came out within the last couple of months, the R10, with a higher megapixel sensor than the M50, but not as high as the M6. However, the video is better overall, maxing out at a cropped 4k 60fps. There's also the more basic, but still considerable M200, although I feel that that's probably a little too basic...

On the full frame side, although a little on the older side, I see that there's the RP, which is, to my knowledge, an excellent entry level full frame camera! Choices, choices. My use cases range from everyday use (events, family, etc.) to it's primary use of social media (YouTube being the BIGGEST reason), where I plan to use it for professional product/thumbnail shots, live streaming, and using for my video's content. Having various accessories to match my needs is also important, with flash, microphone, and other related accessories on my buy list. With all of that said, ANY help and insights are appreciated as I'm looking to pull the trigger sooner rather than later and, with Black Friday and the Christmas shopping season upon us, now's the BEST time to buy! Thanks again for your input!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Choice 6: none of the above.

Get either an

- EOS R7 (if you want APS-c)
or
- EOS R6 (if you want full-frame).

Reactions: cthompson94

mtbdudex

Suspended
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I went from my 2014 70D to the R5 this past March.
However I'm 98% photo, use my iPhone for video or GoPro8, drone, etc.
If I wanted a 50/50 then I'd have gotten this instead
https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/eos-r5-c-rf24-105mm-f4-l-is-usm-lens-kit?color=Black&type=Kit
  • Supports 8K/60P Internal RAW or Cinema RAW Light Recording, HDMI 8K RAW Output to Compatible Recorders, 8K HDR Recording (PQ/HLG)
  • Internal Cooling Fan Enables Non-stop 8K/60P Recording
Unlock your creative potential with the EOS R5 C, a full frame camera that expertly combines many of the video formats and features from the Canon Cinema EOS lineup with the distinguished still-imaging capabilities of the EOS R system.

Whether capturing stills or videos, you’ll love the fast and intuitive autofocus, excellent imaging, versatility of non-stop 8K/60P RAW recording, and fast motion recording without cropping the sensor – all in a compact and lightweight design built on the next generation RF Mount System

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Choice 6: none of the above.

Get either an

- EOS R7 (if you want APS-c)
or
- EOS R6 (if you want full-frame).

With the R6 Mark II being rumored for a Wednesday release, I’d certainly wait to see if the original R6 drops in price!

IT Provisor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2022
California, USA
Ok, so, I added the EOS R7 since it's looking more attractive. However, I wasn't originally going to pay over around $1,300 or so, but it's looking like that might be the case now...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
R7 would be a good choice.

It works not only with "RF" type lenses (for the new mount), but also with EF and EF-s lenses as well (for example, on Canon's refurbished page). You'd need the EF/RF adapter, which is "seamless".

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
R7 would be a good choice.

It works not only with "RF" type lenses (for the new mount), but also with EF and EF-s lenses as well (for example, on Canon's refurbished page). You'd need the EF/RF adapter, which is "seamless".
Agree.

I am using all my older EF lenses, even ones without IS, on my Canon R6. These lenses work without any problem with the R-series cameras (R, R3, R5, R6, and now the R7). I even use one of the Canon adapters coupled to a Tokina WA lens for FF Canon DSLR cameras for the photos of the auroras I post in this forum. The only R lens I have is the RF-100-500mm.

Still have a Canon 7D, and a 5D-2 that I use now and then, too. I never spent money on the EF-S lenses for cropped cameras and bought EF lenses instead, because they work fine with the cameras I have, regardless of sensor size.

IT Provisor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2022
California, USA
Yeah, I hear that lenses are THE most important thing that you can buy for the long haul since they outlast the camera itself (not to mention resale value)! What’s a good lens to start out with that can cover a range of situations?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yeah, I hear that lenses are THE most important thing that you can buy for the long haul since they outlast the camera itself (not to mention resale value)! What’s a good lens to start out with that can cover a range of situations?
That's an individual thing. For example, if I were by myself in some island I would prefer a wide-angle zoom lens with macro capabilities perhaps one of 20mm to maybe 80mm. In this case I can take some wide-angle shots around the island (land/waterscapes), and some macro shots as well. But for longer distances you want lenses that provide longer ranges. starting at 100mm and beyond. If you want a lens for portraiture then you want something in the 60-85mm, and so on. For bird-shots in flight (or not) you want something like a RF 100-500mm L, but some photographers are still using the reliable EF 400mm L IS.

You can always ask your questions at the forum (below). These are photographers use a wide range of cameras and lenses, and off-brand lenses too:

All depends on your budget, but if you have some order lenses EF-S or EF ones, you still can used these lenses on your new R7. The new cameras incorporate in-body IS, so even a lens that does not have image stabilization (IS) still benefits from IBIS (body IS). A lens with IS benefits even more, of course.

You will have to decide which lenses to buy. For example, the L lenses I use aren't image-stabilized (don't have IS), and while a focal range of 16 to 400mm is already covered by a few lenses, I decided to buy a new RF lens to cover 100 to 500mm. When I bought it about it a year ago it cost nearly $2,000, but today the same lens costs $2,800.00 at B&H or Adorama.

You will have to decide which lenses to buy depending on your budget. "L" lenses (EF-L, EF-S L, RF-L ) are the most expensive, specially if they have image stabilization. For some reason the price of EF L lenses hasn't come down by much through COVI-19. Some EF lenses are as expensive as the new RF lenses, so you will have to decide which route to take, since the new RF lenses are specifically designed for the newer R-series cameras. These lenses can't be used with the previous DSLR cameras, while the older lenses can be used with the new mirrorless cameras by the use of a R to EF adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: IT Provisor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.