Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I can't get passed the "Welcome to the App Store" screen when you open the App Store app. I keep pressing the 'Continue' option and see that the Apple TV is registering the action, but it's not actually doing anything.

I've tried rebooting the app, reloading into my account, and restarting the Apple TV, yet still have the same problem. I've tried doing a Google search, but nothing comes up.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm at a loss at what to do.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Reboot, but make sure you unplug the ATV to ensure a dead start. And, turn around 3X and put your left foot in...

Seriously, reboot usually fixes these kinds of things. If all else fails, you might try a reset and set it up fresh. Many Apple products keep a backup of the last configuration when you do a reset, not sure if ATV does that, but worst case is you have to re-download apps and re-authenticate them all... PITA, I know. But if something is corrupt, this should clear it.

Or, wait for the next ATV update, it should be coming in the next month or so.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Factory resetting the Apple TV fixed the problem! I didn't realize that Apple would save the configuration even after a factory reset. Thanks.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Good to know. I assume on 1st boot following reset, you were prompted to setup as new, or restore from previous?

This is good info for others who might run into various kinds of wonkiness...

This is how Airport devices and Apple Watch work as well. In the case of Airport, the old config is saved and available for restore. In the case of Watch, the backup is on the iPhone and can be restored when you re-pair the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.