Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey guys need some help here. This morning when I tried to go into my purchases in the app store from the apple TV 4th generation, running TV OS 11.2, i just get a blank screen with the spinning gear. I have tried the following step:

signing in and out under account from itunes and app store.
rebooting apple TV
disconnecting power, waiting about a minute and reconnecting power. Nothing has fixed this and it's been a problem all day.

I can access movies, and TV shows purchases, and music from the ATV just fine. App purchases from the mac, iphone, ipad etc also work and show up without issues.

The one thing I haven't tried is resetting to defaults. I was hoping I wouldn't have to since it only seems to be the on source not working correctly. If anyone has suggestions, or has a line to app to report this would appreciate it thanks!

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I haven't done it yet either. Still waiting.
I typically do a clean install with each new major release of an os, but the ATV has been fine since day one. I don't have anything major on mine, so a factory reset won't be a big deal, just extra time that would be nice to avoid.

I'm doing a restore and update. I downloaded and is installing a fresh copy of the latest TVOS. I thought this would be good in case the copy I updated to got borked. Now starting completely fresh

Last edited:
Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I typically do a clean install with each new major release of an os, but the ATV has been fine since day one. I don't have anything major on mine, so a factory reset won't be a big deal, just extra time that would be nice to avoid.

I'm doing a restore and update. I downloaded and is installing a fresh copy of the latest TVOS. I thought this would be good in case the copy I updated to got borked. Now starting completely fresh
I'll do the same later, probably a good idea.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I'll do the same later, probably a good idea.
For me it fixed the issue, then I set the ATV up from my iPad and then it re downloaded my apps after it was done automatically.

I can access everything again, including my purchased history. for apps music movies and tv shows.

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
For me it fixed the issue, then I set the ATV up from my iPad and then it re downloaded my apps after it was done automatically.

I can access everything again, including my purchased history. for apps music movies and tv shows.
Doing it now :)

eta: That fixed it, thank you.

Last edited:

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
It’s working again. Didn’t have to do anything. It wasn’t working for days before now.
Glad you were able to get the functionally back without a restore. I don't like having to do a restore unless I have to. As I said above though, I usually do a restore on each major release of iOS and macOS, thought I would go ahead with TVOS this time since I had been running this Apple TV since day 1 without one and it had been going for about almost two years straight. It's always nice to clean house once and a while with a fresh start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.