Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
So my macbook is finally up and running again only I couldn't remember the passwords to either of my linksys wrt54g routers. I hard lined to the first and eventually figured it out but the second one I can't even get to the access page. i have tryed hard wiring but still won't work. I had set the ip to 192.168.2.1 and have tryed that to no avail. How do i go about getting to the access page? I guess I could just do a hard reset but I didn't want to go back and have to fix all the settings.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
So my macbook is finally up and running again only I couldn't remember the passwords to either of my linksys wrt54g routers. I hard lined to the first and eventually figured it out but the second one I can't even get to the access page. i have tryed hard wiring but still won't work. I had set the ip to 192.168.2.1 and have tryed that to no avail. How do i go about getting to the access page? I guess I could just do a hard reset but I didn't want to go back and have to fix all the settings.

Do you have a backup of your settings? If you do i would do the hard reset.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
What IP is your Mac getting?

Can you look in your DHCP settings on your Mac and see if it tells you the router IP? (Network prefs -> Ethernet -> Advanced -> TCP/IP)

If not, I think you might be looking at the hard reset.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
I looked into the network setting ethernet and it is the ip i stated earlier, it just wont go to the access page and no i dont have a backup of the settings. I guess im looking at a hard reset, im just lazy and didnt want to have to go that route but screw it. I guess i can go reset all my security cause it was set so long ago it is probably a wep. Im not sure i remember how to set up the network but it shoud be like riding a bike. Thanks for the help.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
ok so hard reset worked and now i can access the internet rhough the router both hard wired and wirelessly however i still cant access the router settings. Im at a serious loss? How do I get into this thing?

Update: I got it working. Unplugged it, and the other router, turned off computer. The hooked up the router in question directly to the modem and powered on router, then macbook. Entered in through linksys ip 192.168.1.1 and set router to 192.168.2.1. Changed teh wireless security and some other settings then shut off macbook and router. Hooked other router up to modem then powered on. Hooked up router in question via port 3 to other router then pwowered on, then turned on macbook. Everything works fine again and now I can use connect 360 to stream all my movies, which im doing at the moment watching the wrestler, and am now downloading candybar to customize my icons. Finally, I'm almost done getting my laptop and network back to normal after non backed up HDD failure. Major PITA and will be purchasing a NAS soon. I just feel half retarded for taking so long to figure out a simple router.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well if you google you will find how to reset routers.

In addition, different routers come with different default IPs/ default password. EASY to google.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Well if you google you will find how to reset routers.

In addition, different routers come with different default IPs/ default password. EASY to google.

Thanks but I figured it out without the almighty google search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.