Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I got a new iPad Pro 11 yesterday. After setting it up, I went into the cellular data settings and checked that I could choose various carriers and see what plans they offered. I checked AT&T and T-Mobile and both showed plans I could pick.

Today when I pick any carrier I get a spinning gear anywhere from a few seconds to nearly a minute followed by a “Connection Failed” error. The only carrier which works is GigSky, though not all the time.

I have an iPad Air 2 with an Apple SIM so I checked on that and I’m seeing the same thing. From what I’ve read Apple’s servers handle that part until the actual carrier page loads, so it seems like this is an Apple server side issue.

Anyone else having this problem?

cfb652976f0677c8b5fea19974bb25a6.jpg

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Perhaps just a temporary glitch?

I've seen that message a couple of times but it seems kinda random:
  • When there's no internet connection. Sometimes I can sign up even when there's no internet, sometimes I get the above error.
  • While connected to an iPhone hotspot on AT&T. I had to connect the new iPad to another iPad's hotspot on Verizon before I was able to sign up for the T-Mobile $10/5GB/5 mo plan on the new iPad.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I restarted my iPad Pro and iPad Air 2 and now the Air 2 can pick a carrier and get the carrier plan page to load, but my Pro still can’t.

I’ve tried a hard reset and resetting network settings on the Pro, but I still can’t get any carrier to work except GigSky. All the others give a “Connection Failed” error after a few seconds. It was working last night.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hmm, maybe double check that Locations Services is enabled?

In particular: Location Services > System Services > Cell Network Search

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Had a similar issue with an iPhone. The answer you won't like: just go to a store (and complain if they attempt to charge you for a e-sim card. yes, it does exist.)

I wasted a lot of time with the "I want to do it myself at home hubris." I'm still displeased it had to go this way. My recommendation is only to save you the week of time I lost (which included a card sent to me.)

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Are you on iOS 13.3? If so, maybe try 13.3.1 beta a try and see if that does anything. 13.3.1 is actually better on my iPad than 13.3 was. Same with my iPhone 11 Pro.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Had a similar issue with an iPhone. The answer you won't like: just go to a store (and complain if they attempt to charge you for a e-sim card. yes, it does exist.)

I wasted a lot of time with the "I want to do it myself at home hubris." I'm still displeased it had to go this way. My recommendation is only to save you the week of time I lost (which included a card sent to me.)
Sadly, in my experience, AT&T stores (corporate) will only help if you're on a postpaid plan.

For prepaid or pay-as-you-go plans that you sign up for directly from an iPad, they're pretty clueless. They don't know about the prepaid plan options at all or if they do, they pretend not to know (e.g. $30 30-day unlimited pass). I just wanted a new, unactivated SIM card but they wouldn't even let me buy one unless I added the iPad to my postpaid account.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I called Apple Support and they had me do an”Reset Network Settings”, “Reset All Settings” and hard reset. None of that helped.

Out of desperation I did a “Erase All Content and Settings” and then skipped through all the steps to get to the home screen. That worked.

I have no idea why though unless something on the server just somehow broke my iPad. Like I wrote the Air 2 had this issue, but started working on its own. The Pro required a complete wipe to work.

One thing I learned from speaking to support is they are clueless. They told me I can’t add service from the iPad and that I need to contact my carrier.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I called Apple Support and they had me do an”Reset Network Settings”, “Reset All Settings” and hard reset. None of that helped.

Out of desperation I did a “Erase All Content and Settings” and then skipped through all the steps to get to the home screen. That worked.

I have no idea why though unless something on the server just somehow broke my iPad. Like I wrote the Air 2 had this issue, but started working on its own. The Pro required a complete wipe to work.

One thing I learned from speaking to support is they are clueless. They told me I can’t add service from the iPad and that I need to contact my carrier.

Are you on iOS 13.3? If so, maybe try 13.3.1 beta a try and see if that does anything. 13.3.1 is actually better on my iPad than 13.3 was. Same with my iPhone 11 Pro.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009

I am on 3.3, but I don’t feel like putting the beta on it when I’m pretty sure 3.3.1 will be out in a few weeks.

In any case I restored my iCloud backup and it’s still working for now. Since my Air 2 also stopped working for a bit, I’m guessing there was a server glitch that somehow broke things on my iPad. I don’t know if it would fix itself eventually, but I didn’t want to have the iPad do a backup to iCloud and somehow backup the bad data, so I restored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.