Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColeSQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Earth
Verizon can’t add my phone number to my iPhone 11 eSim because my IMEI isn’t in their database. Is anyone else having this issue?

RustyDog559

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
Same problem. Verizon even locked my account out due to all the times they needed to send me verification emails as they tried to figure out what to do.

Everyone kept telling me this is the first time they’d seen anyone with Verizon on an eSIM trying to transfer to another phone. I have to wait until tomorrow now. :(

ColeSQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Earth
Same problem. Verizon even locked my account out due to all the times they needed to send me verification emails as they tried to figure out what to do.

Everyone kept telling me this is the first time they’d seen anyone with Verizon on an eSIM trying to transfer to another phone. I have to wait until tomorrow now. :(
If only Apple was responsible for the carrier process too....

RustyDog559

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
Yesterday I had a tech fill out the paperwork / forms to add my device to their IMEI database. If you have the same problem just ask to be added to the device management database.

Takes up to 72 hours.

ColeSQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Earth
T
Yesterday I had a tech fill out the paperwork / forms to add my device to their IMEI database. If you have the same problem just ask to be added to the device management database.

Takes up to 72 hours.
That's better than I got. When I called the rep told me she'd look into it and call me back, no guarantees. Do you remember what number you called, which options you chose, etc?

mwappel

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
My attempts to get Tier 2 to add IMEI to DMD have been unsuccessful so far. Why is this simple task so hard?

mwappel

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
Two attempts where Tier 2 supposedly submitted change and still no luck. Time to cancel the account.

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
Not quite following what you are asking for so excuse me for that but...

I have 2 lines on my 11 Pro Max (same when I had my XR and my XS). My personal number has always been on eSim and my work number is on physical sim. Both numbers are from Verizon.

When I first swapped from my physical sim to eSim on my personal number, it gave a little fit to the system (this was on a fully paid off XR from T-Mobile at the time in which the number I was porting over was on eSim with T-Mobile). I kept telling the CSR to use the digital IMEI not the physical. Low and behold when he finally listened and entered in the digital IMEI it worked right away. I then purchased a XS fully paid for and when to swap over my eSim to the new phone. I had to remove the eSim from my XR and then it went right into the Verizon system, sent a new QR code, and I was back up and running.

I preordered my 11 Pro (5.8") on preorder day direct from Apple. While going through the process, it kept trying to use my business number for the upgrade since in Apple land the physical sim is ALWAYS the main number. Once I was able to direct the Apple order system to my eSim number, it got all the info and order was placed. When I received my new 11 Pro, I had first removed the sim that Apple had sent, turned the phone on, but it had to have that specific sim in for activation. Of course it worked immediately but I still wasn't getting cell service. I removed the Apple supplied sim, used the QR code from my previous XS eSim, and BAM. Back up and in business (caught my by surprise cause I was under the impression the QR code would only work 1 time and for that specific device?).

Fast forward to last Monday, I decided to exchange my 11 Pro for the 11 Pro Max at my local Apple store. This time my old QR did not work and I had to call Verizon, pithing 5 minutes I was back up and running with new QR code that was sent.

I did have some trouble come last Thursday though. When I originally purchased my 11 Pro, I did the trade in with my XS and had already sent it back. When I exchanged my 11 Pro, Apple sent me back my XS, so last Thursday I took my XS directly into my local Apple store, where we did an exchange with trade in (kept same phone). Both of my sims were active and in my 11 Pro Max at the time Apple went to activate the sale, but Verizon's system kept getting an error. She thought she was going to have to call Apple to get them to do something on there end, but while standing there, I grabbed her sim removal tool, removed my business sim, she tried again and went right through (that's when I schooled her and several other Apple employees including the manager in if this ever happened again, the way Apple treats the sims (eSim is always secondary to physical no matter how its set up in the settings).

Know this is long, but Verizon, at least on the personal side, is pretty good with there eSim program (don't get me started on the business side with eSim, its like talking to the red headed step child).

Good luck, keep pounding them. They will get it figured out,

mwappel

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
Went to a Verizon store today. They told me that many people are having same issue I was - Verizon claiming that IMEI was not in their database. Rather than fight with them anymore I put my Verizon line on a SIM and AT&T on esim. Took 45 minutes, problem solved.

nkm117

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Same issue here; ATT physical sim and Verizon ESIM. Fought Verizon through mutliple calls over 4 days; not to mention several to Apple and a few to ATT. Probably 12 hours on the phone total. Never the same story twice; the best was they told me APPLE had locked the phone for 6 days (it was unlocked and confirmed twice). Finally I moved my ATT line to ESIM and then went to Verizon. The Verizon store could not even get a physical sim activated based on numbers in my device. Luckily I had a XS that I keep as a backup phone; had them activate the sim to that phone. Started it up, made sure it worked, removed it and put in the 11 Pro...finally problem solved. One issue that I found is that so few of the people with these carriers know anything about ESIMS. I called an ATT store near me to see if they had QR codes; the rep had never heard of an ESIM and did not even know what a QR code is in general. I went to a corporate store and they did have it thankfully. Good luck to everyone having this problem, it is very frustrating when the tech people are just shooting in the dark.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Was on ATT and IUP, I called Verizon and explained the situation. I was on hold for about ten minutes. This lady Sophia picked up. I explained the situation, we got to the point of the IMEI/ sim #. She asked if I could hold briefly. I asked how long was briefly. She laughed and said 10 minutes. The she asked if she could call back.
We set up a time. She called back.
I swapped the sims and done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.