Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Your TV would need to have HDMI CEC compatibility for the aTV remote to be able to adjust the volume. It's called Anynet+ on Samsung TVs. It's possible not all the HDMI inputs on the telly will be CEC compatible.

EDIT: Just realised that's not even true, it should be able to use IR.

Are you using a soundbar/external speakers or just the built-in ones?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Your TV would need to have HDMI CEC compatibility for the aTV remote to be able to adjust the volume. It's called Anynet+ on Samsung TVs. It's possible not all the HDMI inputs on the telly will be CEC compatible.

EDIT: Just realised that's not even true, it should be able to use IR.

Are you using a soundbar/external speakers or just the built-in ones?
Built in.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I had this happen yesterday after an LG WebOS update & I unplugged ethernet and power cables and replugged for my AppleTV & that fixed it for me.
I did not connect my Smart TV to the internet. I would buy a non smart TV if they were still sold.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try unplugging and re-plugging both ends of the HDMI cable

try unplugging and replugging both the TV and aTV from power.

Both of those cause your devices to re-do their handshake, it's possible that something got corrupted or lost.

Try a different HDMI cable, CEC has its own pin/wire in the connector/cable, I've had a cable that was intermittent for CEC, but worked fine for everything else. Sometimes moving the cable would make it work, Sometimes not,

make sure CEC is enabled on your TV, sometimes it's off by default. Samsung calls it anynet+

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
try unplugging and re-plugging both ends of the HDMI cable

try unplugging and replugging both the TV and aTV from power.

Both of those cause your devices to re-do their handshake, it's possible that something got corrupted or lost.

Try a different HDMI cable, CEC has its own pin/wire in the connector/cable, I've had a cable that was intermittent for CEC, but worked fine for everything else. Sometimes moving the cable would make it work, Sometimes not,

make sure CEC is enabled on your TV, sometimes it's off by default. Samsung calls it anynet+
Thanks.. I have allot to try when I get off work.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have a high end Samsung Sound Bar, and the a few OS versions ago, the volume down button stopped working over CEC on all my ATVs with tvOS, ATV4, ATV4K, ATV4K2, and now ATV4K3. Volume up works, just not volume down.

I manually configured the IR volume and that works fine as long as the ATV is on. If the ATV goes to sleep and I am using something else connected to the TV, such as a Blu-ray player, after about 30 minutes of the ATV sleeping, the volume down button stops working in IR also, but the Volume up works fine.

The above is with the newest 2022 ATV4K3 with the original Siri Remote (black glass one) that came with the 2017 ATV4K1.

I haven't tried it with the newer Siri Remote (silver), so not sure if the behavior would be similar with it.

Either way, it is just buggy. While tvOS isn't as buggy as it was when it first launched in 2015, it still has bugs and it seems like it takes Apple multiple tvOS versions to fix the bugs, while adding new bugs in the process.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
This happens to me many times. You need to press and hold both the TV button and the minus button for at least 5 seconds or until the remote is disconnected. It won't be reset, just disconnected.
Press any button to connect the remote again.
That fixed it thanks!!! I hope this does not happen again.

Reactions: waltman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.