Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Tried to AirPlay the Apple Fitness+ content to my 2020 Sony TV that has airplay 2 and is HomeKit compatible. The TV is not showing as a airplay display when launching a fitness video.
If I enable screen mirroring before launching a workout I get right up to the start page and then the screen on the TV goes black.

Looks like Apple has locked airplay to Apple TV’s only with this, quite disappointing really.
7CBFF65A-014D-4DCE-B895-E2F839636875.png

Reactions: 0119836

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2020
Yes, after waiting with anticipation, I also cannot AirPlay to my 2019 Samsung 4K TV (AirPlay 2 compatible and otherwise works with all other apps with AirPlay support).The Samsung TV has the Apple TV App, etc., I have no need to go buy an Apple TV specifically so I can use Apple Fitness+ on a device larger than an iPhone. Very disappointing.

Reactions: jeffhalmos

ryan.taylor06

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2014
Glasgow, UK
I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed by this too, we recently bought an LG with the Apple TV App and I've got to say I have been pretty impressed with it so far, it also works with HomeKit. I was kinda hoping this would work as I also don't feel no there is any need for me to buy an Apple TV box when our TV does 90% of the stuff I would use it for. Is there any chance Apple would bring Fitness to LG, Sony & Samsung TV's as a separate app like they have the TV app? in due course? Fingers crossed lol ?

Last edited:

dustin9779

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Only thing I can think of is that AirPlay from Smart TVs doesn't have the ability to read the data off the Apple Watch like iPhone, iPad and Apple TVs can. Now since those devices CAN read that data, to me its seems like a software bug or an intentional block to prevent iPhone and iPad to send/screen mirror that data to compatible AirPlay devices.

ryan.taylor06

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2014
Glasgow, UK
Only thing I can think of is that AirPlay from Smart TVs doesn't have the ability to read the data off the Apple Watch like iPhone, iPad and Apple TVs can. Now since those devices CAN read that data, to me its seems like a software bug or an intentional block to prevent iPhone and iPad to send/screen mirror that data to compatible AirPlay devices.
I think it is more of an intentional block on apples part although I’d be more than happy for Apple to prove me wrong lol ?

Addairplaytofitnessplus

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
I use an old xbox one s to do my workout every morning with peloton and i can see my heart rate and it add my workout to health fitness app on my iphone. they are doing this on purpose.....

Attachments

• 04463A8B-5DF8-4165-BE7C-A59669C12F43.jpeg
    04463A8B-5DF8-4165-BE7C-A59669C12F43.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: CE3 and jeffhalmos

scotio200

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015

I would get it if airplay video didn’t work, but screen mirroring also does not work.

rr20552

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
There is no reason why screen mirroring of Fitness+ should be restricted (other than to see more AppleTV’s).

I only have older AppleTV’s which can AirPlay but don’t support the latest TVOS.

Hopefully Apple will reverse this software limitation.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I use an old xbox one s to do my workout every morning with peloton and i can see my heart rate and it add my workout to health fitness app on my iphone. they are doing this on purpose.....
Before I signed up this evening I was AirPlaying workout previews on my LG tv yesterday, so yes, it's clearly an intentional move on Apple's part.

cueball73

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
$2,500 bike or $149 Apple TV. makes total sense LOL
You don’t get it. Peloton has as good or better fitness classes with trainers. Same cost. Without buying an Apple TV. And with any tracker that costs hundreds less than an Apple Watch and a battery lasting 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: CE3

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
You don’t get it. Peloton has as good or better fitness classes with trainers. Same cost. Without buying an Apple TV. And with any tracker that costs hundreds less than an Apple Watch and a battery lasting 1-2 weeks.

Yes, it's not too much to expect that we should be able AirPlay workouts to our AirPlay supported TVs, and to be able use Fitness+ on our Mac computers.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
then go with peloton lol. this literally just went live yesterday, give it time.

• Angry
Reactions: cueball73 and ukms
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.