Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I have a home network with several Macs. Now that I again have a dedicated Mac serving as a Time Machine backup repository, I am trying to set this up on an individual Time Machine client, which I want to get backed up to the server. All computers involved are running Ventura.

The server is a 2017 21½-in iMac. It has a 9 GB RAID attached to it through USB3. I am sharing a folder in that RAID volume’s root directory.

Time Machine Share Setup.png

When I try to connect to the share from my 2021 MacBook Pro, even after successfully authenticating, I get this:

File Sharing Error Message.png

It says (this is for search engines): “There was a problem connecting to the server ‘server.local’. The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name, and then try again.” The thing is, I selected the share from a list of shares offered to me. I know, that the share exists:

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 11.54.56 AM.png

Is this a bug?

When I connect to the Internal SSD share, which is not a Time Machine share, and navigate to the logged-in user’s folders, they are all devoid of files. At least, I can connect to the share.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I have to admit my embarrassment with having to be directed by an AppleCare agent to reboot the iMac. Once I did that, everything worked as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.