Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Hi folks, just recently I reset my 5 authorised devices for my new M2 Pro mini. I've since picked up a 1st gen iPad in beautiful condition and wanted to set it up for sync with my Power Mac G5 running Leopard.

However when I go to authorise iTunes (to add purchased music, apps etc) I get stuck in a loop where it keeps asking me to enter my apple ID password over and over. I've done the trick of getting the verification code on a newer Apple device and adding that onto the end of the password many times on older iOS and MacOS devices. I had to do it just now on the ancient iPad running iOS 5 and (to some surprise) it worked perfectly to get iMessage and iCloud.

I can't easily find a clear answer on this from a bit of googling, but has iTunes authorisation been totally removed on iTunes 10 on Leopard?

I can always use a Mac Pro or something to sync but I was looking forward to using my Power Mac as the iPads hub, would be a shame if that isn't possible anymore.

Sorry if this if this is a very well discussed issue but I couldn't find definitive forums posts about it besides similarly unsure and confused people.

Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
You are correct, iTunes 10 will no longer connect to you account. I have looked into workarounds and tried some for other versions of iTunes without success.

Interestingly enough, if you look at the app contents of iTunes 10 and the last Mac version of iTunes 12, they are very similar. Fundamentally, I do not think the app changed much. Granted, I am not skilled in code or anything else, this is just a lay observation.

I wonder if someone with enough familiarity with the underpinnings of iTunes could potentially use iTunes 12 to bring back functionality to iTunes 10. I tried my best with my extremely limited knowledge.

Reactions: Slix and tevion5

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
You are correct, iTunes 10 will no longer connect to you account. I have looked into workarounds and tried some for other versions of iTunes without success.
Ah that was my sense of it but I just couldn't find anyone saying it directly. Thanks for clearing that up.

Funny enough I've realized to my surprise that it syncs up perfectly with MacOS Ventura on my Mac Mini, despite being on iOS 5. So I've just hooked up my dock to that and it's working great there anyway!

Reactions: Slix and ww2_1943

borelly

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
Tevion5
Just a quickie and off subject
I see you are in Ireland and are a collector of old Apple gear.
I am also in Ireland (South Coast) and wondered if we might be able to 'compare notes' on our collections :)
Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.