Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinochicken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Hi everyone,

I recently got myself a new mbp. I backup up my old one but the only thing I want to restore is my photos library. When I plug the drive into my new mb It doesn't show the old backups in time machine itself. When i go via Finder, I can see all the old backups in dated directories.

I tried to just copy the photos library from the drive and paste in on my new mb and then tried to open it. Photos app starts and it says its restoring the library. When it's done loading it says it can't open the library. So that's where I'm stuck..

Hope anyone can help me with this one? :)

Thanks guys!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I tried to just copy the photos library from the drive and paste in on my new mb and then tried to open it. Photos app starts and it says its restoring the library. When it's done loading it says it can't open the library."

Could you possibly be having permissions problems between your user account on the old MBP and the new one?

Do you have a drive available that's large enough to hold the entire (old) photo library?

Here's what I'd suggest you try.

First, you want a "finder copy" (NOT a TM backup) of the OLD photos library on a drive which you can connect to the new MBP. It could be a hard drive, a USB flash drive, etc.

Connect the drive to the NEW MBP.
You want to see only the drive's icon -- DON'T open the icon yet.
Type "command-i" to bring up the "get info" box.
Down at the bottom right hand corner there is a "lock icon". Click it and enter your password (for the new MacBook).
In the bottom left-hand corner there is a checkbox to "ignore ownership on this volume". Put a checkmark into it.
Close the "get info" box.
That should take care of the permissions issue.

Next, I suggest you slightly rename the OLD photos library. Add a "2" or something to the end of the name.

Next, open your home folder on the NEW MacBook.

Now, try to "drag and drop" the renamed (old) Photos folder over the Pictures folder (in the NEW home folder).
Does it copy over, lock, stock, and barrel?

If so, try this:
Hold down the option key and now launch Photos (or is it iPhoto you're using, you didn't make this clear).
Does Photos ask you to select the library you wish to use?
If so, select the old, renamed library.
What happens now?

dinochicken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Thanks for the reply Fishrrman!

I used migration-assistent and now my mb shows me the old backups in TM so thats good news.
When I go to the pictures folder in Finder, where the Photo's library is located by default and then open TM it says 'Waiting:...'. I suppose it's loading this directory or so? The thing is, it doesn't stop loading..

I don't have the old MB anymore so a direct Finder copy of the Photos lib isn't possible anymore. Only thing I have is the complete backup on my TM.

It's just so weird, all my images and videos are in there, the library is 40GB. It just doesn't open correctly in Photos app unfortunately..

Daan

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.