Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Got my hands on a 16" today and I've spent the last few hours trying and failing to clone my 2018 15" drive over to the new 2019 16".

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the 15 running 10.15.1 to an external hard drive. I then cloned the external drive to the drive on the 16 but I can't boot from it. I also cannot boot straight from the external drive. Both of them give me the circle with a line through it.

The weird thing is I can boot from that same external drive on the 15" just fine.

Any ideas here?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
What version of Carbon Copy Cloner? There are new updates that seem to address your problems.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
chrfr provides the right answer in post 4 above.

OP:
What you SHOUD be doing is NOT "cloning" the entire OS over.

Rather, you should have used setup assistant to migrate over the relevant data from the cloned drive. This "leaves behind" the OS and older Apple apps, and just brings over what's relevant.

If you need more help, ask.

Reactions: chabig

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Finally got it resolved. I ended up reinstalling Catalina on the cloned drive that I couldn’t boot from and now everything is functional.

Reactions: m0lts

m0lts

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
@matty1551 could you please share the steps you took to get it fixed?

I am facing the same issues trying to restore from MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) to the new 16" and getting a No Access logo.

Thanks!

Reactions: caoimhe

m0lts

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
It won't work.

Why not?

Use the Setup Assistant to transfer your data. You can find it in the Utilities folder.

I have an unconventional setup, with brew installed into system paths and other configs. I am just worried that the Setup Assistant won't be able to correctly copy all my stuff. It probably just copies the user dirs and that's it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It probably just copies the user dirs and that's it.
No, it copies more than that. I have a bunch of things in /usr/local that get migrated whenever I use the Migration Assistant.

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah I’ve just tried CCC between two 16” 2019 machines.

I’m not sure if was same issue, but was a huge pain, had to turn off system integrity to even get CCC loaded when booting off the drive.

Eventually started the restore , and between CCC and OS X they both thrashed the disk so hard it resulted in a broken external drive (no longer mounts) and a half installed OS.

Now just trying migration assistant with thunderbolt cable....

m0lts

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Needless to say the migration assistant didn't go quite well.

Apple is really turning into Windows early 2000s.

Many of the preferences were lost for many apps. Oddly some were lost and some were not. This was pretty random and I don't see any pattern to it.

Overwhelming number of pop up warnings about permissions, even though I already granted these permissions before in Catalina MBP15 install.

Many apps got logged out. E.g. Dropbox is logged out. But G Drive is not logged out.

Some apps lost licenses and need to be re-licensed.

Most iCloud logins got logged out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.