Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_lover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
My Mac has a firmware password on it. I had gotten around parental controls and other restrictions by using Single User Mode and creating new admin accounts. But an IT professional locked down my computer, deleted my admin account, and set a firmware password. I heard that there is a way to remove the firmware password, but it involved dealing with my computer's RAM. I'm not sure if it would work on my macOS High Sierra. Anybody know anything about this?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You can't remove it yourself. You'd need to take it to an Apple Store and have the original receipt for the machine to prove your ownership. From there they can remove the firmware password for you.

Reactions: DeltaMac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You say this is "My Mac", but that an IT guy locked down "your" computer (?)
Do you own this Mac?
Do you use it in a company-controlled network environment (because of your job)
I suppose the IT guy was just doing the job that he was hired to do, in support of business (or school) security.

If it is a 2010 model, or newer, Apple removed the hardware feature that allowed a full reset (thus removing a firmware password) simply by changing the memory configuration, and doing a PRAM reset.

keysofanxiety is correct, if this is newer than a 2010 Mac. You have to take it to Apple, and show proof that you own your Mac. They can clear that firmware password.

Mac_lover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
You say this is "My Mac", but that an IT guy locked down "your" computer (?)
Do you own this Mac?
Do you use it in a company-controlled network environment (because of your job)
I suppose the IT guy was just doing the job that he was hired to do, in support of business (or school) security.

If it is a 2010 model, or newer, Apple removed the hardware feature that allowed a full reset (thus removing a firmware password) simply by changing the memory configuration, and doing a PRAM reset.

keysofanxiety is correct, if this is newer than a 2010 Mac. You have to take it to Apple, and show proof that you own your Mac. They can clear that firmware password.

Yes, this is my computer. My dad is not necessarily tech savvy, so it wasn't hard to bypass almost anything he put in place. He had a friend of his (who works at IHMC) lock it down after I bypassed their restrictions three times. I am currently using root user - another problem, I know... I don't need a bunch of comments on how bad it is to be using root user as your normal account. And please don't ask me why this IT guy didn't think of the possibility that I had set up root, but he didn't.

And thank you for your answer. Now that you know my situation, you know why I can't take it to Apple. My parents said they will give me the computer when I go to college in a year (or after college, not sure). Then, I suppose I could find the receipt, or ask my Dad if he remembers the password to unlock it for me. I just am kind of sick of not having an admin account. But thank you again for the answer.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, this is my computer. My Dad had a friend of his (who works at IHMC) lock it down after I bypassed their restrictions three times. I am currently using root user - another problem, I know... I don't need a bunch of comments on how bad it is to be using root user as your normal account. And please don't ask me why this IT guy didn't think of the possibility that I had set up root, but he didn't.
You're out of luck. There's no bypassing it without the tools Apple has.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A firmware password does not prevent you from using other accounts (as you already know), so if you are logged in, with the root user enabled, you can add another account through the normal "Users & groups" pref pane (no need to use single-user mode when you have the root account), which will, by default, be an admin user. Log out of the user you are presently using, and log back in to your new admin account. easy-peasy. You still won't be able to do those tasks that require you to unlock the firmware password, but at least you will be able to install new software, etc, the normal admin stuff. (assuming the helpful IT guy did not do other lockdowns on your system)

Mac_lover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
I'm not going to bore you guy's with the gritty details, but my parents installed an accountability software that detects if I create new accounts. So for now, I'm stuck using root user. But I was interested to know if I could remove the firmware password myself. Thanks for the answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.