Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ken Reef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Hong Kong
After I click the CD "Install Mac OS X" icon, it prompts for administrator password and reboot the machine. However, it just boot up to the old 10.2. I try press the "C" key during restart and it's just the same. I then goto System Preferences->Startup Disk, and notes there is no icon showing bootup from CDROM. I was really frustrated. How can I bootup from CDROM to install the Panther?

Ken Reef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Hong Kong
Originally posted by snickelfritz
You might need a firmware update.
There's mention of this and a URL in the readme file on disk 1 (IIRC).
:( I don't think so. According to the README, if the firmware is not ready for the installation, it will warn in the installation program. The program goes fine with me except it always boot the harddisk instead of CDROM.

The System perference -> startup disk showed no CDROM icon. Is it the problem?

jameskk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
South Carolina
the same happened to me when attempting install on my iBook SE (300MHz).. the problem was that it didn't meet the min. memory requirement. I added more RAM and it worked. You would think that it would at least startup and inform that min. requirements were not met.

Ken Reef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Hong Kong
Originally posted by jameskk
the same happened to me when attempting install on my iBook SE (300MHz).. the problem was that it didn't meet the min. memory requirement. I added more RAM and it worked. You would think that it would at least startup and inform that min. requirements were not met.
:confused: Mine is iMac G4 800Mhz (Flat panel) with 256M memory and SuperDrive, and should meet the minimum requirement of Panther.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Ken Reef
:confused: Mine is iMac G4 800Mhz (Flat panel) with 256M memory and SuperDrive, and should meet the minimum requirement of Panther.

How are you trying to boot?

Try holding C,

or holding Option (alt) to bring up the blue screen boot selector,

or try macosxhints.com for other forced methods perhaps.

Ken Reef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Hong Kong
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Does an other Mac boot from that CD?
Maybe there is a problem with the CD itself.
Yes, it is my fault :D It may have some fingerprint onto the CD. After I cleaned it out, it can boot. Anyway, thanks all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.