Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billibala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I have 2 21.5" LG ultrafine 4k display (22MD4KA).

The only way to modify display brightness has always been... using the brightness keys on Magic Keyboard or from Control Center.

Since I upgraded to macOS Sonoma 14.4, the OS does not allow changing display brightness through "Settings" app, Control Center nor from keyboard.

Opening Control Center shows both brightness sliders disabled.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 1.35.41 AM.jpeg

System Settings does not even show a brightness slider.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 1.35.56 AM.jpeg

Everything was fine when my Mac Studio was running previous (14.3) Sonoma.

Did you run into similar problem?

Thanks
Bill

• Wow
Reactions: city_17

billibala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
This should be a software bug.

If I disconnect one display, reboot the computer, brightness slider is back.

Now, reconnect the other display, the other display will have brightness slider disabled.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I have the same monitor, and the same issue! Upgraded to 14.4 yesterday and it broke my brightness control, and also the audio. The monitor doesn't show up at all as an audio device and the sound plays over the laptop speakers. So far I tried unplugging and plugging the monitor into a different USB port, rebooting the laptop with and without the monitor plugged in, and I downloaded the LG screen control software which was totally useless. Seen a number of topics about this online but nobody has any solutions.

billibala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Could this issue just only be affecting the old 21.5" LG Ultrafine 4k display?

I imagine there will be more complaints/discussions if it's affecting the 27" LG 5k model as well.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
FYI My UltraFine 5K (original model) works fine in re: brightness control (I don’t use the built in speakers so I can’t comment on that).

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Could this issue just only be affecting the old 21.5" LG Ultrafine 4k display?

I imagine there will be more complaints/discussions if it's affecting the 27" LG 5k model as well.

I noticed the greyed-out slider on my 2018 MacBook Pro the other day, and I don't use this machine with an external monitor at all. I can still change the brightness with the Touchbar and in System Settings though, only Control Centre is broken.

billibala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I think I have a workaround. Not sure if it helps anyone...

It seems that... if I unplug all USB devices which was originally connected to my 2 LG Ultrafine displays, connect those deices directly to the computer instead. Then, reboot the system. Monitor brightness sliders come back out again!

city_17

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
Same problem here. I installed the BetterDisplay app and that does allow me to change the brightness (this is for the 22MD4KA as well).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.