Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Good Evening.
I've been experiencing issues in regard to chaining to location of where screen shots are saved on my machine. Previously, my settings were to have screenshots saved into a "Screenshots" folder within Dropbox. I wanted to change the location of the folder to go within my Documents file that syncs via iCloud so I can view them more easily on my iPhone and iPad. I've moved all of my previous screenshots to /Documents/Screenshots and have used this terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Documents/Screenshots

Followed by:

killall SystemUIServer

This hasn't worked at all. Screenshots still save within Dropbox. I've even gone a step further and deleted the folder and ran the same terminal command again, and it just keeps creating a new "Screenshots" folder within my Dropbox. I've even tried a terminal command to move them back to the desktop (the default) and couldn't pull that off either. Any suggestions on a fix? This has been rather annoying to deal with. Thanks in advance.

tmcalister

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
Wow. Thank You so, so much. I totally forgot about that! I unchecked it and re-ran those terminal commands and everything works.

Sidenote: How/Why does that checkbox override Terminal Commands?

DROPBOX. MUST. CONTROL. COMPUTER.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.