Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to play a DVD on my external DVD drive (connected via USB-C to my MacBook Pro). Apparently the drive is set to a region which isn't compatible with the region of the disc. When I insert the disc the window below shows up (it says "You have to pick a region code for your DVD drive" and I didn't change it in the past so I'm still in the 5 times change limit.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-02 um 18.43.38.png

I get the option to change the region code of the DVD drive (I tried to change it to "3" since I tried to play a Korean DVD) but the button to change the region code ("Ländercode festlegen" in the bottom right) is greyed out and when I still click it I get an error message that this is not possible.

Can anyone help me with that and knows what's going on?

Thank you in advance and best wishes
Chris

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi,

I'm trying to play a DVD on my external DVD drive (connected via USB-C to my MacBook Pro). Apparently the drive is set to a region which isn't compatible with the region of the disc. When I insert the disc the window below shows up (it says "You have to pick a region code for your DVD drive" and I didn't change it in the past so I'm still in the 5 times change limit.

View attachment 830027

I get the option to change the region code of the DVD drive (I tried to change it to "3" since I tried to play a Korean DVD) but the button to change the region code ("Ländercode festlegen" in the bottom right) is greyed out and when I still click it I get an error message that this is not possible.

Can anyone help me with that and knows what's going on?

Thank you in advance and best wishes
Chris
This is the best place to look for patches to make a DVD player region free: http://www.rpc1.org/farzeno/club-internet/firmware/
By the way, if you copy the DVD to your computer hard drive and use the VLC player (videolan.org) do you still have region problems?
Ed

Reactions: chris4565

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
This is the best place to look for patches to make a DVD player region free: http://www.rpc1.org/farzeno/club-internet/firmware/
By the way, if you copy the DVD to your computer hard drive and use the VLC player (videolan.org) do you still have region problems?
Ed
Thanks for your answer. I will have a look at the site.

Yay, playing it with the VLC media player works. Thanks for the tip.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thanks for your answer. I will have a look at the site.

Yay, playing it with the VLC media player works. Thanks for the tip.
Whenever you see your problem solved, please add to the title of your thread "RESOLVED" so readers know the problem is no longer one.
Freundliche Grüsse
Ed

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Whenever you see your problem solved, please add to the title of your thread "RESOLVED" so readers know the problem is no longer one.
Freundliche Grüsse
Ed
It looks like I can't edit the title of my post. So I just added "resolved" as a tag.

Many greets
Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.