Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
So, I have had this problem for a while, now, since iOS 11 first came out. I only have TV shows that I have ripped from DVDs; I have bought literally 4 TV episodes from iTunes, period. I have ripped all my DVDs the EXACT same way, using the EXACT same programs (makeMKV and an app called mp4 converter or something like that from the macOS app store), because I basically wasted an entire weekend just ripping DVDs. For some reason, the built-in TV app will not allow me to select or tap an episode, any episode, of just *one* show (Criminal Minds, if that's even relevant). Normally, if this happens, I just do a force reboot (sometimes it takes 3 times) and I can then tap the episode and then tap the play button. This seems to be happening more and more lately, until today, when I have now force restarted more times than I can count (I'm desperate for my Criminal Minds!), and tried 2 or 3 times to turn the phone off completely for a couple of minutes. Still, the same problem persists.

Here is EXACTLY what I do: tap "TV", tap "Libary", tap "TV Show", tap "Criminal Minds", tap "Season #", tap "episode title", nothing happens. It's like it doesn't register that I am tapping an episode.

When this first started, I did a full DFU reset and set the iPhone up as a new device, no restoring from backup, and it STILL did it. Again, this only started happening since iOS 11, and we are now on 12, and I can't watch my Criminal Minds AT ALL now. Again, I ripped all TV episodes of all shows the exact same way with the exact same programs, and I added them all to iTunes the exact same way and just have my iTunes sync settings set to "all episodes of all shows". I also have an iPad Pro (10.5 inch) running the latest iOS as well, and an iPad 4th gen stuck on 10.3.3, and neither of these have any problems with me tapping an episode, although I only tried on my old iPad just to see if it would work. It's obviously something with my iPhone (iPhone 7, black, 256 GB), but I bought it brand-new, put it in a lifeproof case as soon as I got it, and when I popped it out of the case just the other week (I accidentally dropped it in a pile of slush and wanted to be sure it stayed dry), it still looked like it just came out of the box.

It seems to be a software issue, but a DFU reset and set up as new iPhone didn't fix it, so I am out of ideas, and I am also out of luck for watching Criminal Minds over my lunch breaks. Yes, I know it's on Netflix, but only up to season 12, and the work computers block Netflix, and my office is in the basement, so no cell phone signal strong enough to stream without buffering every 5 seconds. Besides, watching a TV episode should just WORK. And, no, I don't want to use an alternative app, because all my other shows are working just fine (I tested, and I can tap literally any and every other episode), and it's only my iPhone that is doing this, and I don't want to have to use one app for one show and another for another, etc. It's just too much bother. I already tried Googling, but all I get is about AppleTV, and that is not my issue, as I don't even *have* AppleTV, nor is streaming, nor purchased episodes.

So, after writing a book and a half, I guess what I'm asking is if anyone else is having this problem, and, if so, is there a fix? I seem to be the only person with this issue, and it's driving me nuts.

ETA: When it DOES let me tap an episode, it then ALWAYS allows me to tap the play button, and it ALWAYS plays just fine. The problem is getting it to register that I am, in fact, tapping an episode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.