Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Since upgrading to Sierra, every time I have a new notification (for instance Messages or Mail are the most common, but also Slack and other apps), I try to click on it but nothing happens. It used to close the notification and bring up the app, but now it doesn't do anything and it's really annoying; I have to manually switch to the app to see the message/act on it. Is this a bug, or by design? Anyone else has this issue?

Reactions: droble and danmcq

benface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Apparently it's not happening on all Macs, as my girlfriend's 5K iMac doesn't have this problem. (Also judging by the lack of replies to this thread and the fact that I couldn't find anything about this issue online...)

Same thing on iOS.
I myself don't have any problem with notifications on iOS 10.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
I have only just tried with Facebook notifications and it works fine so I am not sure if it's a common problem or if you're just unlucky.

j4cq

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
This is happening to me too on my MBP - has anyone had any luck fixing this?

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Same here, it isn't constant though. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Also noticed I can't click to enlarge photos in the photos app sometimes. Wondering if it's some kind of click or double click speed issue?

benface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Wondering if it's some kind of click or double click speed issue?
Interesting. I did notice an annoying difference in the behaviour (compared to previous versions) when double-clicking on text to select it, at least in some applications such as Sublime Text. It occurs for instance when some text is already selected and I want to select the whole thing instead. It used to be that I could click on the selected text once to unselect it, and then double-click to restart the selection process. But often the unselect fails now and I have to click somewhere else to "start over" because the double-click doesn't work either... Anyway probably a subtle difference that I'm not yet used to and not a bug, but I'm wondering if it could be related.

dadiduekappa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2013
Naples - Italy
Since upgrading to Sierra, every time I have a new notification (for instance Messages or Mail are the most common, but also Slack and other apps), I try to click on it but nothing happens. It used to close the notification and bring up the app, but now it doesn't do anything and it's really annoying; I have to manually switch to the app to see the message/act on it. Is this a bug, or by design? Anyone else has this issue?
Same here. Click on a notification banner cause notification disappear but the mac not open Facebook or Twitter pages on Safari.
Anyone figured how to fix this?
[doublepost=1476006211][/doublepost]
Same here. Click on a notification banner cause notification disappear but the mac not open Facebook or Twitter pages on Safari.
Anyone figured how to fix this?
Just figured out! Delete and add again Facebook and Twitter account from your mac and notifications started working again!

remembrancenn

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
I have exactly same thing with notifications and images preview. Some times it work, but some times not. (usually not)
I was thinking it will fixed with 10.12.1 but it is not...
Have someone solution?

flapjacksnbuttah

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA

Happening to me and a buddy suggested that it might be due to an external mouse (turning off my magic mouse seems to fix it). So definitely seems like a bug.

jer77od

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
Happening to me and a buddy suggested that it might be due to an external mouse (turning off my magic mouse seems to fix it). So definitely seems like a bug.

This seems to sorta kinda work. It does work but it seems the triple or quadruple click seems to only work. I might play with my double click settings. Will post again if I find out but other fixes would be appreciated. Until then, this seems to be a temporary fix. I have also been having this issue and it's driving me crazy. I even reformatted and put on a clean OS (not because of this) and the issue remained. The biggest issues for me is WhatsApp, Goofy, and the Mac Messenger.

breadadams

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2016

It seems that even with magic mouse turned on, using the built in trackpad to click on a notification opens it.

It just doesn't open from external mouse clicks.

Weird :confused:

Reactions: mmerritt

sguilliard

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2017
Exactly what is happening to me, really annoying.

Has there been any resolution to this? I have the same problem: clicking notifications (such as email) works from the trackpad on my MBP but not from the external magic mouse... :-(

snowyjoey

Suspended
Jan 15, 2012
Bump, same problem here. DAMN annoying. I get a lot of Messages at the desk to save me using phone, loved Mavericks, could click once and boom type a reply and CMD-Q or CMD-H until next time, often soon after. Now, that entire process is fubar. Do they not use computers before releasing a new OS?!

BoctorBill

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
My family has multiple macs, and just one of the machines has this issue. The others work as expected.

I'm not sure how to make this stop. There's very little talk of this issue elsewhere on the web. It would seem there aren't very many of us?

benface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
For what it's worth, I'm not experiencing this anymore. I'm not sure when it started working again to be honest.

BoctorBill

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
My family has multiple macs, and just one of the machines has this issue. The others work as expected.

I'm not sure how to make this stop. There's very little talk of this issue elsewhere on the web. It would seem there aren't very many of us?

RESOLVED!

I reinstalled macOS over the top of my existing macOS system (non-destructive) and it totally fixed the issue! None of my data or configurations were otherwise changed.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Did anyone ever figure out WTF is wrong here and how to fix it? I have a 27" 2017 iMac with Ventura. Ever since upgrading to Ventura, clicking on notifications doesn't do a damned thing. They just disappear when clicked. It's infuriating. I am using a magic trackpad and have a cabled mouse attached for when I'm gaming in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.