Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

courboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Hi

I am running Big Sur, and it's working ok with one exception: the left side of the menu bar (the apple logo, and app-specific controls) won't click. The right side with the clock and other services works fine.

If I restart the computer, it works again for a while, but ultimately stops working. There doesn't seem to be a theme to having a specific app open, either.

Has anybody encountered this, or does anybody have any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
try resetting the nvram (google for instructions)... see if that fixes it. or you could try changing the screen resolution (system preferences>displays>display>resolution) to something else, then change it back...

littlej2

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2018
I started getting this recently for no apparent reason. It happens in clamshell mode, which, if you have an external monitor, is the only way to use the mac as you cant disable the internal screen. When this happens (i.e. the menu becomes un-clickable), I have to open the lid, wait, then close it again. Very annoying.

vmeduri1

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2023
Hitting the green Full Screen mode button on the top of your MacBook Pro browser Window should get the Toolbar working again, and then re-hitting the green Full Screen mode button should get your toolbar working again.

I encountered this problem on the MacBook Pro 2022 Version suddenly on the left hand-side drop-downs (ex. History, Bookmarks, etc...). Doing this fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.