Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I recently upgraded my iMac to Catalina from Mojave.

When I try to connect to any mounted USB drives from my MBP (el Capitan) over my network, I get an error "The operation can't be completed because the original item >drive name< can't be found.", despite the USB drives being listed as being there:

12bb3209-67e2-4c6d-b5f9-f84d40539d0d

5a964471-4eda-45d0-9674-e77415d459f8

I booted the iMac into a backupdrive of it's previous Mojave system, and there's no issues...everything works fine with it, so it's something with Catalina.

AFP sharing IS turned off on the iMac (Catalina) but it has been on in this process. The error seems like a location cache problem on the MBP (El Capitan), but I can't find a way to clear that info, if that's what it is (restrarting hasn't fixed it).

Any help would be appreciated.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I solved my problem by putting /usr/sbin/smbd into FULL DISK ACCESS under Privacy tab in the Security & Privacy system preference on my iMac (Catalina).
The Macbook Pro (El Capitain) know connects just how I think it should.
1662595398769.png

yukoncamino

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2023
I'm having the same issue. Can you elaborate where to find /usr/sbin/smbd when adding full disk access?

A finder window opens when adding an item to full disk access but I don't know where to find /usr/sbin/smbd

vanclute

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
I'm having the same issue. Can you elaborate where to find /usr/sbin/smbd when adding full disk access?

A finder window opens when adding an item to full disk access but I don't know where to find /usr/sbin/smbd
I registered here JUST to help you out @yukoncamino as I just ran into this exact same insanely frustrating problem, and the above fixed it straight away!

So, once you are in the Security & Privacy Control Panel, select Full Disk Access in the sidebar, then click the plus symbol to add something. Now here's the trick... while you're in the dialog to select what you want, you will not be able to see the /usr/ directory! BUT... if you type COMMAND-G it will present you a prompt of where would you like to go, and in there you can type /usr/sbin/ and hit enter, and you will be taken to the correct directory, from which you can select smbd and give it full access.

This instantly solved my problems and everything can again access all the external drives on my machine, over the network... including Time Machine. HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN! =)

yukoncamino

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2023
I registered here JUST to help you out @yukoncamino as I just ran into this exact same insanely frustrating problem, and the above fixed it straight away!

So, once you are in the Security & Privacy Control Panel, select Full Disk Access in the sidebar, then click the plus symbol to add something. Now here's the trick... while you're in the dialog to select what you want, you will not be able to see the /usr/ directory! BUT... if you type COMMAND-G it will present you a prompt of where would you like to go, and in there you can type /usr/sbin/ and hit enter, and you will be taken to the correct directory, from which you can select smbd and give it full access.

This instantly solved my problems and everything can again access all the external drives on my machine, over the network... including Time Machine. HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN! =)
Appreciate your reply. I'm not getting a prompt when pressing COMMAND-G.

I have been using screen sharing on my MBA as a workaround, and managing the disk's contents remotely. I still can't access shared drives on my network but screen sharing has been a good workaround.

vanclute

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
Oh wow how strange... I got the same prompt one would get from Finder if you hit COMMAND-G there. Wonder why it didn't work for you... sorry to hear it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.