Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dizbuster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Not sure if anyone else is having this problem. I restarted the HomePods, unplugged them, separated the stereo pair and repaired them and reset them but no change. Any other suggestions?

HomePods have been the most frustrating piece of hardware from Apple I’ve owned.

Reactions: splifingate

Dizbuster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Sorry about that. Everything is updated to 16.6. I have the latest Apple TV and the volume does not work using the remote control or my iPhone. Since I posted, this guy unpaired the stereo set and now one of the HomePods functions normally and will respond to the remote control and turn the volume up and down. However, since I installed 16.6, the other one doesn’t seem to be working. I’m wondering if I just need to wait for the next update or try and reset it again.

hubers

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
France
Hello, I've the same problem this morning with a stereo HomePod installation on TvOs. Only found solution was to reset the HomePod and it was fine.

Dizbuster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
I reset them. Individually they work so I have one of them as my speaker. When I re-paired them, no volume control so I’m just using one for now. After the next update I’ll try to pair them again, or just buy one 2nd gen.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
HomePods have been the most frustrating piece of hardware from Apple I’ve owned.

I'm with you on that, Brother.

I admit to complicating the situation, somewhat, with running a bespoke Ubiquity Edgerouter/Unifi NanoHD network.

When I get everything just right, it's as smoothe as silk . . . until I update the Homepod Mini . . . then, everything Just Doesn't Work.

After a bit of fiddling, I can get get it working.

I'm not quite ready to add another to the mix (and further-complicate the situation) ;)

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’m experiencing this too and it’s inspiring me to buy a new tv and soundbar. Hopefully soundbars don’t receive frequent updates that wreck basic functionality.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
We’re at the end of the OS 16 life cycle and there’s still issues. WTF is Apple doing? Too busy playing with that Vision Pro toy and neglecting everything else. One of my HomePods refuses to download 16.6. Well, maybe that’s a good thing.

Reactions: katbel

Calumma

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
This problem is also affecting my HomePod OGs that are connected to AppleTV as stereo pair. I can get them working again by changing sound output to TV and back again to Homepods but controlling sound via remote stops working again at some point afterwards. I found the problem occurred only after updating AppleTV to 16.6. Updated HomePods a few days before and didn’t experience this issue.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
It appears a daily reset of my HomePods is required now to keep them operating. Even my doorbell chime doesn't work until I reset them. I do notice that each day when I go into reset them the alarms and timers are unavailable. I'm not mad at you, Apple. I'm just disappointed.

chongchong

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2023
The new Home update definitely broke something. HomePods gen 2 stereo pairs work, but volume control only works for one of the speakers for me.

Reactions: Chunkybearhaha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.