Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeSpameur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2024
IMG_2238.jpeg
Hi, I have a performa 6360 which works absolutely fine, but the ide 1,2 go disk is totally blank and I don’t want to spend 80$ for a bootable cd of Mac OS 8.0. I tried to burn an iso of Mac OS 8.1 (which support hfs+) onto a cd-r with disk utility on my 2009 iMac on El Capitan, but the Macintosh doesn’t want boot, he just read the cd and then stop. Can someone help me to create a bootable cd of Mac OS 8.1 for performa 6360 ? Thanks.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Where did you get the Mac OS 8.1 ISO used to burn the CD media? You’ll need install media specific to your Performa or a Universal install.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
A lot of these old systems are very fussy about what CDs they will work with and what they won't. I can't get my Beige G3 to read and boot from a MacOS 9 CD I burned on my G4 PowerBook, but it will read one on a different brand of CD burned by someone else. So, first thing to try is burning the install CD onto a different brand of blank, at the slowest possible speed.

Also, these systems were supplied with MacOS 7.5.1, and in the first instance, I'd be inclined to start with that, or perhaps 7.6.x (https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-mac-os-76 has universal installers) since is less complex and may be more readable.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

LeSpameur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2024
Where did you get the Mac OS 8.1 ISO used to burn the CD media? You’ll need install media specific to your Performa or a Universal install.
I got the iso on Macintosh repository, I think it was universal install. I tried to burn a lot of cd’s with the slowest speed possible, but it doesn’t boot. At one point the Macintosh logo appeared but just after it spit out the cd. Do you now where I can find a specific iso file for my Performa 6360 ?

LeSpameur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2024
A lot of these old systems are very fussy about what CDs they will work with and what they won't. I can't get my Beige G3 to read and boot from a MacOS 9 CD I burned on my G4 PowerBook, but it will read one on a different brand of CD burned by someone else. So, first thing to try is burning the install CD onto a different brand of blank, at the slowest possible speed.

Also, these systems were supplied with MacOS 7.5.1, and in the first instance, I'd be inclined to start with that, or perhaps 7.6.x (https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-mac-os-76 has universal installers) since is less complex and may be more readable.
I’ll try to burn onto a cd os 7.5.1, but which cd format should I use ? For the moment i use hfs with the disk utility, but i can also use Burn.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Yeah I'm having the same problem with my PowerMac 6100. It doesn't seem to be able to read a modern CD-R discs. Wondering if there's a good/known working brand.

Basic verbatim brand discs seem to be too translucent for the drive. My B&W G3 didn't like them either.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Update -

I was able to get Mac OS 9.2 retail and Macintosh Server G3 discs duplicated and booting using printable CD-Rs. They have a thicker coat/not translucent, which I think helps.

My B&W G3 tower was happy to boot off of these printable label CD-Rs, while it refused to boot off of other burned CD-Rs.

Was not able to get 7.6 from Mac Garden to boot up my PM6100, though. Not sure if an issue with the image or an issue with the disc. I caved and ordered a retail 7.6 disc from eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.