Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Hi, I have a Godaddy Deluxe hosting account with a main domain with DNS managed through Cloudflare.

Even when I go into the "manage hosting" or "manage DNS" sections, no matter what I do, I can't get subdomains to work, "server not found" errors every time by my browser (errors from the browser, not Cloudflare.) I've tried adding an A record an also a CNAME record in cloudflare that points my subdomain to my server IP address or my site domain name. The subdomain is hosted on the same server as the main domain, as are the files.

Thanks for any help :)
[doublepost=1477887918][/doublepost]However - if I go to maindomain.com/subtest , which is the directory with the .index file, it loads fine, just not when trying to access it by visiting subtest.maindomain.com

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
Recently had trouble trying to use a custom domain such as www.subtest.maindomain.com with a hosted webapp. Some hosting sites only allow one level of sub domain. www is considered one level hence subtest will not work (may work for a time, then stop working).

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Recently had trouble trying to use a custom domain such as www.subtest.maindomain.com with a hosted webapp. Some hosting sites only allow one level of sub domain. www is considered one level hence subtest will not work (may work for a time, then stop working).
Thanks for the reply, the domain I was trying to add the subdomain to didn't have the www - I was running a lot of old sites so just spent many hours through the night reconfiguring them and then I might give the subdomain another go.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I have called their tech support a few times and they were quick to answer and were very professional. Maybe give that a go?

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
After you create the corresponding A/AAAA records, confirm that it is actually resolving in DNS.

Once it is, you need to add the configuration stanzas in apache to handle the subdomain.domain.tld through servername and serveralias virtualhost directives so apache knows how to handle the request.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.