Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinJerry

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
Occasionally I will need to re-authenticate access to an app running on my Apple TV 4K by entering a user ID and password. Typically, I open the Apple TV remote in my iPad Control Center, select the Apple TV that I am using, after which a box opens into which the user ID and password are entered. The passwords I use are long, complex random-character passwords generated by my password manager. To avoid having to type in the password, I open the password manager and copy it. I then go back to the remote control amd attempt to paste the password into the box. However, when I long-press the input box, the option to paste the text flashes briefly and then disappears. I have not been able to figure out how to restore the cut-and-paste functionality for the remote control, and any suggestion would be appreciated.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
You shouldn’t need to copy and paste, are you not using Key Chain?
When the user name or password box is highlighted press the Passwords tab that appears next above the keyboard and then just select the appropriate option for what you’re logging into.

IMG_4014.jpeg

AustinJerry

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
I am not using Keychain, I am using an external Password Manager (Lastpass). Your response does not address the issue I reported, i.e. cut-and-paste is not working. It has worked in the past, so the behavior may have changed because of software updates on either the ATV or the iPad. I am just trying to figure out how to restore the functionality, and converting to Keychain is not a desirable option.

AustinJerry

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
Upon further investigation, the cut-and-paste issue seems to occur only on my iPad (iPadOS 16.7.6). I am able to cut-and-paste passwords into the ATV remote app using an iPhone. So, for now, I will use this approach as an acceptable work-around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.