Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi guys, after finishing red steel, wario ware smooth moves and rayman, and not having the time to really get into resident evil 4, I am looking to purchase another wii game...but alas i am stuck!

basically i need something to keep me (and friends) entertained for a couple of weeks before i go away for the rest of the summer, and so am looking for something that is not too involving, is easy to pick up and have a great laugh with, but is not a collection of mini games either! At the moment i am thinking of either mario strikers charged, although i am put off by an apparent lack of 4 player support and the fact that i already have mario smash football on the gamecube, and excite truck, which concerns me as it's reviews say that it is fairly basic in terms of presentation and multiplayer support, and therefore not worth the £35 price tag!

Any thoughts on either of these two games and other recommendations for games that will be fairly easy for me and mates to pick up and play, yet not another collection of mini games, would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I picked up Excite Truck at Manchester Gamestation, brand new for £19.99! Even got one of them crappy keyrings :D

It's hard to pick between the 2. Excite Truck is brilliant as single player, Strikers as multiplayer. Its a tough call. Strikers is a little more hectic, it's like Smash Bros on speed.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
If i could find it for 20 quid it would be a no brainer, but I am currently deep in the countryside, and have only access to woolworths on the highstreet, and of course the usual plethora of online shops. To make matters worse, I was aiming to pick it up tomorrow (lots of my friends are coming down to stay from friday!), which leaves me with toying between both games at the same price! a couple of questions then...

1. Is mario strikers 4 player offline?

2. Exactly how fun is excite truck?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
1) I've no idea. We've only had 2 players and online 4 players so far. Sorry :eek:
2) Very. You NEED an SD card with your own music on though. The standard soundtrack is a pain to the ears. I can throw hours into that game, the feel of speed is fantastic and you unlock something every few matches. Once all that is over you'll be wanting to get full rankings. Basically just scraping the barrel trying to make it last longer.
I've been spoilt by F-Zero and Mario Kart, this game had about 7 or so "areas" with tracks around each one. There are lots of unique ones. About 15 or so. But you'll be wanting more.

I can still imagine myself playing it after the proper racers come out.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I've heard great things about Mario Strikers, but it's not out in the US so I can't give a first hand account. Excite Truck is a ton of fun, both single and multi in my opinion.

BUT

You seem very worried about Strikers not being able to support 4 people. You know Excite Truck is only 2 players in multiplayer, right?

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
You seem very worried about Strikers not being able to support 4 people. You know Excite Truck is only 2 players in multiplayer, right?

Yeah, I have accepted that, it was after-all a launch title so its lack of 4 player support is excusable, although disappointing! My point with strikers is that I already have mario smash football on the Gamecube, and the best part of it for me was playing with three mates (especially as i bought it just before the world cup last year, so we would watch a game and then battle it out on the cube!). I think that ideally, i'd rather get excite truck, but where I am it is stupidly expensive, unless i order online, and then it won't arrive on time!

I think that in the case of excite truck, i find it difficult to judge the 'official' reviews on the net such as those from ign and gt, as they seem to get bogged down in the technicals and pit falls of the game, and seem to review it worse than the user opinions that i have read online, which generally regard it as an essential wii game. i suppose therefore that i am reall searching for 'grass roots' opinion of the game!

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I just bought both on the same day. Right now I'm playing excite truck more. The single player can get a bit frustrating on Strikers so I find myself putting it down so I don't huck a Wiimote through the TV. But in two days I've pretty much beat Excite Truck with not much playing...It's fun and easy to pick up and play...the jumps and stars are fun to do.

Strikers frustrates me because I've played a lot of proper football games so I want to do real stuff and can't...but I'm starting to appreciate the game...and will probably like it more once I'm playing it with others...

Paul

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
what's wrong with wii sports?
that game hasn't come out of my wii in about 4 months :) wii bowling 6 player rocks!

i also thought about getting excite truck, but the reviews really did put me off..

i ordered the wii brain training (should get it today).. so that should be cool..

just to add another train of thought to the OP's questions :)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
thanks for all of the replies guys, they've been really helpful as per usual!
In the end I deliberated for a couple of days and today bought...

Excite Truck

I have to say that I think that I made the right choice. I needed a game that was more than a collection of mini games ( have rayman and wario for that!), yet still fairly easy to pick up and play. Excite truck fits this perfectly. Some thoughts:

1: for a launch title, I feel that the bland menu's are acceptable, especially as you can tell where all the developers time went: into creating a game that just plays really really well.

2. It is very addictive, in a bizarre way: I am actually really wanting to ace each of the courses in turn, rather than move on up to the next course, something that i don't often do.

3. its fast: this is simply great as you really do get a feeling of speed, in a way not so dissimilar to f zero x on the 64! Moreover, it feels more playable than similar games on other platforms such as motorstorm, as you can actually control the vehicles at insane speeds, rather than crashing over and over again.

I have of course only had this game for a matter of hours, and therefore cant comment on its longevity, but i do feel that I will come back to it again and again, its just a slice of fried gold!

Thanks once again for the imput guys!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a fantastic game. I can imagine a sequel in 2 or so years with many improvements (track selections, music, multiplayer et al).

And, it could be one of the few console games that you can play with just 1 hand :D if you want to sacrifice the boost that is.

It surprised me in that I read it was rubbish, but when I played it I couldn't put it down.

Great game to master too. You can get really fluid at it.

And some of the later cars are absolute beauties. They just fly. Almost literally!

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
A perfect example of where online reviews and forums miss the boat. This is a quality game...not a game of the year...but a highly addictive, fun player. Solid gameplay all around. I wish it were online, but that's the only gripe I have. Who cares about graphics moving that quickly :) Love it.

Paul

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think mario strikers is the better game of the two, but I don't paticularly like either.

I'm playing Big Brain Academy at the moment and enjoying it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.