Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaundon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
..so I'm crowdsourcing the decision making process to you lot!

I got a Nexus 7 when they were released (first Android device!) and for a while enjoyed using it. After a while two downsides became apparent - the battery life isn't great, and there are hardly any apps optimised for Android tablets at all.

I wasn't particularly wanting a mini at first, but as it tends to do, Apple's marketing crept up on me. Having more apps, (plus 'free' apps that I have already bought for iPhone so can redownload), better battery life, iMessage and Apple TV integration are all big plusses for me.

At the same time I'm very conscious of the ~£100 difference between the Nexus and the mini!

So basically, does anybody have an opinion?

Cheers!

PS - There is also the screen resolution thing. I'm of the opinion that it's better to have a lower resolution device that you use, over a higher one you don't as much, but it'd still be a hit on pixels.

Last edited:

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
uhhh obviously the mini!

well if it's solely between the nexus and the apple mini...obviously the mini! :D Do you have any apple iPads??? If not, its prob a good thing bc you have no other apple products to compare it to. So you'll prob think the mini is god.

Also if you have an iPhone, the syncing aspect is also really convenient.

shaundon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
well if it's solely between the nexus and the apple mini...obviously the mini! :D Do you have any apple iPads??? If not, its prob a good thing bc you have no other apple products to compare it to. So you'll prob think the mini is god.

Also if you have an iPhone, the syncing aspect is also really convenient.

I had the original iPad, but I sold it after about a year, when I got an 11 inch Air and found myself not using it. I don't anticipate that'll happen with the mini because of the lower weight and smaller form factor, it'll be great for when commuting :)

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I had the original iPad, but I sold it after about a year, when I got an 11 inch Air and found myself not using it. I don't anticipate that'll happen with the mini because of the lower weight and smaller form factor, it'll be great for when commuting :)

hmm odd that you barely use the macbook air. People who have that seem to use it all the time due to it being so light weight.

Well if you commute then ipad mini is a must buy!:D

BreezyTheFirst

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
You're on an Apple forum so you are undoubtably going to get a biases towards the mini. With that being said, I think the overall app experience is currently the biggest selling point for the different tablet operating systems, and iOS is far and away the best experience. Sure, I expect Google to make up some ground over the coming year, but nothing is touching Apple's app ecosystem currently.

shaundon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
hmm odd that you barely use the macbook air. People who have that seem to use it all the time due to it being so light weight.

Well if you commute then ipad mini is a must buy!:D

Sorry, wasn't clear! I meant that when I got the Air I found the original iPad going unused. I love the Air!

----------

You're on an Apple forum so you are undoubtably going to get a biases towards the mini. With that being said, I think the overall app experience is currently the biggest selling point for the different tablet operating systems, and iOS is far and away the best experience. Sure, I expect Google to make up some ground over the coming year, but nothing is touching Apple's app ecosystem currently.

Thanks yeah - I think I'll head down to the Apple store tomorrow to try and get one (the queues are apparently shorter so maybe I'll be lucky and they still have some).

It's a shame really as stock Android is very nice, it's just lacking in tablet apps.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yup, do not ask a question like whether you should dump your Android Tablet for an Ipad because the answer is going to be "yes" for majority here.

Still, if you want to hang on to Nexus then dont waste 329 for a mini. But if you decided to sell it anyway then add some more bucks to buy the mini since you probly used to the smaller screen already. Pls note though that mini screen is low resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.