Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
For a number of years, every time there's been an OS update, I've removed the extremely annoying "Volume Mount" sound at:

/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/SharedSupport/SystemSounds/system/Volume Mount.aif

But when I attempt to delete that file in El Capitan, I get an error message: "The operation can't be deleted because the item "Volume Mount.aif" is locked. This was never a problem before.

Things that didn't work:

- Unlocking the file via the Get Info window. (Of course the numerous parent folders are also locked.)
- Logging in as root.

Honestly, I was confident that logging in as root would work, but it doesn't. Has Apple just locked down the system even further, this time? What must I now do to delete that frigging annoying sound?!?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For a number of years, every time there's been an OS update, I've removed the extremely annoying "Volume Mount" sound at:

/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/SharedSupport/SystemSounds/system/Volume Mount.aif

But when I attempt to delete that file in El Capitan, I get an error message: "The operation can't be deleted because the item "Volume Mount.aif" is locked. This was never a problem before.

Things that didn't work:

- Unlocking the file via the Get Info window. (Of course the numerous parent folders are also locked.)
- Logging in as root.

Honestly, I was confident that logging in as root would work, but it doesn't. Has Apple just locked down the system even further, this time? What must I now do to delete that frigging annoying sound?!?
Rootless should be disabled from recovery partition.
Another issue related to this rootless. :p

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I really appreciate the reply, but I don't understand. Can you please be more specific? :)
1.cmd+R to move to recovery environment.

2. From utility menu, which you use to fire up terminal, select SIP. I cannot remember clearly, but that menu is new from el capitan, you should be able to notice it.

3. Clear check of the only item on the dialogue window.

Restart, and nuke the sound you hate dearly.

Don't forget to reenable unless that sound is back.

Enjoy. :p

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
1.cmd+R to move to recovery environment.

2. From utility menu, which you use to fire up terminal, select SIP. I cannot remember clearly, but that menu is new from el capitan, you should be able to notice it.

3. Clear check of the only item on the dialogue window.

Restart, and nuke the sound you hate dearly.

Don't forget to reenable unless that sound is back.

Enjoy. :p

That did it! Thank you!!

Exact steps, for anyone else reading:

1. Restart, then hold down the ⌘ and R keys at startup to enter Recovery mode.
2. In Recovery mode, ignore center window. Instead, from Utilities menu, select Security Configuration.
3. Untick the checkbox next to Enforce System Integrity Protection, and apply.
4. Restart, and nuke annoying sounds!

(Note: When I reentered Recovery mode to reenable Enforce System Integrity Protection, the checkbox was already ticked. So, it seems the system automatically reenables it upon restarting.)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That did it! Thank you!!

Exact steps, for anyone else reading:

1. Restart, then hold down the ⌘ and R keys at startup to enter Recovery mode.
2. In Recovery mode, ignore center window. Instead, from Utilities menu, select Security Configuration.
3. Untick the checkbox next to Enforce System Integrity Protection, and apply.
4. Restart, and nuke annoying sounds!

(Note: When I reentered Recovery mode to reenable Enforce System Integrity Protection, the checkbox was already ticked. So, it seems the system automatically reenables it upon restarting.)
Thanks for your clarification.

This should help quite a lot. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.