Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fear12

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
US
Hello,

I have an Airport TimeMachine that I used to use to backup a Windows PC. I no longer have the PC and would like to delete the backups as I have no use for them anymore. Trying to delete from the finder gives me the following message:

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 4.03.02 PM.png

When I do Get Info on the folder I have full read / write privileges and the "Locked" option is not checked.

I then tried to delete through terminal using sudo rm -rf which also gives the following message:

rm: path/to/file: Permission denied.

I'm at a loss here. These windows backups are chewing up tons of space on my TimeMachine. How else can I try to get rid of these files?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Are you using the TimeMachine to also back-up a Mac or other computer? If not then you could simply wipe the disk and start fresh. And if you don't need the older backups to any other computer that is on the TimeMachine backup now, then you could do the same thing.

Also, I'm not sure how you're attempting to delete from Finder, but in general I think that Disk Utility may be what you should be using here.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Fear12

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
US
Are you using the TimeMachine to also back-up a Mac or other computer? If not then you could simply wipe the disk and start fresh. And if you don't need the older backups to any other computer that is on the TimeMachine backup now, then you could do the same thing.

Also, I'm not sure how you're attempting to delete from Finder, but in general I think that Disk Utility may be what you should be using here.
Unfortunately I am using it to backup two other Macs so I want to avoid wiping the whole disc if I can.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Unfortunately I am using it to backup two other Macs so I want to avoid wiping the whole disc if I can.
If you have mounted the Time Machine backup, you would need to delete the files from within Time Machine, you can't do it directly from Finder.

Fear12

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
US
Somehow the Terminal command was able to delete but required multiple uses (??). Even though the command would fail, I would notice that the size of the folder would go down. It eventually deleted the entire folder after the third or fourth try.

If you have mounted the Time Machine backup, you would need to delete the files from within Time Machine, you can't do it directly from Finder.
I don't understand. I wasn't mounting a Mac backup, in my post I'm talking about deleting a folder containing windows backup files stored on my TimeMachine disc. When you enter TimeMachine you can't see network folders right?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Somehow the Terminal command was able to delete but required multiple uses (??). Even though the command would fail, I would notice that the size of the folder would go down. It eventually deleted the entire folder after the third or fourth try.

I don't understand. I wasn't mounting a Mac backup, in my post I'm talking about deleting a folder containing windows backup files stored on my TimeMachine disc. When you enter TimeMachine you can't see network folders right?
What you are doing is going to damage the Time Machine backups with the way you are going about deleting those folders outside of Time Machine.

Do you see the Time Machine drive on your desktop? If you do that means it has been mounted on your desktop.

Fear12

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
US
What you are doing is going to damage the Time Machine backups with the way you are going about deleting those folders outside of Time Machine.

Do you see the Time Machine drive on your desktop? If you do that means it has been mounted on your desktop.
I'm sorry, I think the confusion is in how I have been wording my posts. I meant that on my networked Airport Time Capsule I had a windows backup folder that I wanted to delete. I am not modifying anything within a Time Machine backup.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I'm sorry, I think the confusion is in how I have been wording my posts. I meant that on my networked Airport Time Capsule I had a windows backup folder that I wanted to delete. I am not modifying anything within a Time Machine backup.
Gotcha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.