Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Longstag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Today I switched from my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the new iPhone 15 Pro Max.
After migrating my data and initiating a new iCloud backup from the new phone I wanted to delete the old one to free up iCloud storage space.

Unfortunately when I select "Turn Off and Delete from iCloud" and confirm with "Permanently Delete" I receive the error message "This backup cannot be deleted at this time". (see attached screenshot)
When I try to delete it out of my Mac via System Preferences --> iCloud --> Account Storage "Manage" --> Backups --> Delete
similar issue.
No error message but it gets not deleted either.

I also tried to logout and re-login to iCloud on the iPhone again... no chance.
Any suggestion?

Attachments

• IMG_42D99485424D-1.jpeg
    IMG_42D99485424D-1.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: Clocksetbyfeel

Clocksetbyfeel

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
California
I’m getting the same error iPhone 14pm to 15pm. I’ve done everything I could think of and nothing has worked. Extremely frustrating but something tells me it will clear itself up after a day or so.

Longstag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
I hope so. Right now my Wife and me are having individual iCloud+ plans and we could share one and reduce the monthly cost. However, my redundant old backup blocks enough storage so 200GB is not enough for both of us right now.
Tried this morning to delete but still the same issue. :-/

Clocksetbyfeel

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
California
I hope so. Right now my Wife and me are having individual iCloud+ plans and we could share one and reduce the monthly cost. However, my redundant old backup blocks enough storage so 200GB is not enough for both of us right now.
Tried this morning to delete but still the same issue. :-/
Keep me posted! If it remains the same Apple may need to get involved. Wondering if there are others with the same issue as well. Interesting issue for sure!

Longstag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Keep me posted! If it remains the same Apple may need to get involved. Wondering if there are others with the same issue as well. Interesting issue for sure!
Not sure how to involve them and specially the right team. Any suggestions where to address it?

Clocksetbyfeel

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
California
Not sure how to involve them and specially the right team. Any suggestions where to address it?
I’d start with a call to them directly. Then it may result in a Genius Bar consultation. Curious, do you also have an Apple Watch? I read somewhere that it may be a hung up device during back up.

Longstag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
I don’t expect they can help at a Genius Bar since I guess it needs to get fixed within their iCloud backend.
Propably they fix it in case more people are affected.

Longstag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Had a phone chat with Apple Support.
They told me that the old backups might be blocked up to 48hrs after generated for security reasons.
So I shall give it a try this evening again.
Let's see...

Longstag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
UPDATE: Indeed I could delete it now. Seems there is really a 48h lock time for some iCloudBackups before they can get deleted.

Clocksetbyfeel

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
California
UPDATE: Indeed I could delete it now. Seems there is really a 48h lock time for some iCloudBackups before they can get deleted.
Thank you for the update! I was just about to ask you if you were able to delete it. I’m still stuck but I will keep trying. It still find it odd since I’ve never seen this happen before and I always swap out phones every year. Glad it’s fixed for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.