Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
EDIT: FIXED!

As I mentioned below, I was able to activate the partition removal function using the Disk Utility in Internet Recovery, but quit it when it was still running after 12 hours. This changed the partition to "Free Space", which also could not be removed by any of the Disk Utility programs. So I went into Terminal and ran this command:

diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk1 0g

And it worked--my disk has been restored to a single partition.

Credit: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251271783?&previousThread=253238513021

I've got a 2014 15" Macbook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6). I just added a separate partition for Big Sur (that's a new partition = new Container, not a new Volume), using Internet Recovery (CMD-OPT-R), and it set up without issues. However, I subsequently learned I don't need the partition, and it actually inteferes with my ability to access my university's VPN, so I need to get rid of it.

The problem is I can't delete it because it thinks it's in use (see first screenshot). I was able to delete the Container's Volumes, but not the Container itself. I tried booting into Recovery Mode (CMD-R)—same issue.

I then went through a few cycles of First Aid on all the pieces, using a combination of the main Disk Utility and Disk Utility in Recovery Mode, until everything was fixed. I then switched to Internet Recovery, tried Disk Utility in that mode, and I was able to click on the minus button there to remove the partition. However, istuck on "Preparing to remove partition" with the blue-and-white barbershop pole for ≈12 hours, so I finally quit it.

Is there a fix for this in Terminal*, or should I just wipe the entire disk ("Apple SSD SM1024F Media") and reinstall from my Carbon Copy Cloner backup?

*I found this for a stubborn Bootcamp partition, but don't know if it's applicable to my situation:

The last screenshot shows the output of diskutil apfs list. Not sure what's creating the error in my main partition (Macintosh HD, which I want to keep)—see bottom screenshot; First Aid didn't fix this.

1694133076582.png

A screenshot of a computer  Description automatically generated

1694138021649.png

1694138030789.png

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
You might want to take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/hacintosh/comments/jun2n2
Good luck...

-bob
That doesn't apply to my case. The warning given there is:

"BEWARE: don't install Big Sur in the same APFS Volume with Catalina/Mojave"

The title has a typo—what the poster meant to say was "don't install Big Sur in the same APFS Container with Catalina/Mojave". [You can't install it in the same Volume--it can either be in a different Volume in the same Container, or in an entirely separate Container.] Having said that, as I was careful to state at the beginning of my post (bold added for emphasis):

I've got a 2014 15" Macbook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6). I just added a separate partition for Big Sur (that's a new partition = new Container, not a new Volume)...
I do agree with that warning as general practice—if you want to install a new OS, put it in an entirely separate Container, which is why I did this here. In the past, I have installed a different OS within the same Container, and had issues, which is why I avoided doing so here. Alas, that also what's causing the issue I'm having--now that I have this separate container, I can't get rid of it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.