Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm trying to download/install Firefox for my iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) but am being told (in the AppStore) that it's "not compatible with this iPad".
Fair enough, and what's to be expected, but......
I have a newer iPad running iOS 14.8, and download it there without any issues, so the usual trick in these cases is to download the current version of the app (on a device which will allow it), then on the older device log into the same Apple ID account, go to the AppStore and ask to download the "previously purchased" app in question where you'll be told that the current version isn't compatible, but you can choose to download the latest compatible version.

The problem is that I'm getting the exact same message (not compatible with this iPad) even when having done this. Any ideas why and what I can do in order to get Firefox on that older iPad?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I would guess there are hardware limitations on your old device that prevent the software from installing. It's possible that there are no compatible versions for your device, given that iOS 9 is nearly 7 years old.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
That's what I thought, but after searching I found this info page from Mozilla indicating they had at least one version compatible with iOS 9 (the "System requirements" link from that page says so).
And here it says "Firefox is available on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices with iOS 8.2 and above" but the link for further info doesn't say where/how to get a non-current version.

Is that information simply outdated, or is there a hidden way to get hold of it?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That's what I thought, but after searching I found this info page from Mozilla indicating they had at least one version compatible with iOS 9 (the "System requirements" link from that page says so).
And here it says "Firefox is available on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices with iOS 8.2 and above" but the link for further info doesn't say where/how to get a non-current version.

Is that information simply outdated, or is there a hidden way to get hold of it?
The info must be out of date. If there were still a version of Firefox that's compatible, you'd be offered that older version when trying to install on the older iPad.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
That's what I was hoping not to hear :(
I suppose Mozilla doesn't want to stand behind a product which doesn't have the latest security features.

Are there any other browser alternatives to Safari in iOS 9.3.5 which I can download?

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
UPDATE: here's the strangest thing; all of a sudden it worked! In the Appstore, when clicking on the Firefox download link on my old iPad I was asked if I wanted to download the latest compatible version, which I did and now have Firefox on that iPad as well.
I don't know why it didn't work yesterday. I can't remember if I had downloaded it years ago on my old iPad, more recently on my newer iPad or just recently on my newer iPad but there might have been a delay or something in "allowing" the old iPad to see that it had already been downloaded.

Reactions: MajorFubar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.