Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Every time I try to download it this appears:
1608630366364.png

I am on Mojava right now.

Any idea how to make it work ?

Also, My Mac came with HS preinstalled, Is there a way to install HS without App Store ?
I tried the internet recovery but it only allow me to install Catalina.

Thanks for the help.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
You can't install an older OS on top of a newer. You need to do a clean install.

Either you install from web restore, since it will provide you with a link to the original system install that your Mac shipped with.

The other alternative is to make a bootable USB and install it with High Sierra which you can find here.

Apple support pages also have information that covers your topics. Also search Youtube for this since there are many how-to-do-it videos on this available there.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
You can't install an older OS on top of a newer. You need to do a clean install.
I know about this, I wanted to download HS from App Store then make a bootable USB drive.
But the store won't allow me to download it.
Either you install from web restore, since it will provide you with a link to the original system install that your Mac shipped with.
How to do this ? Did you mean internet recovery (command+option+R) ?

Also in the link you provided there isn't a full installer, There are only updates for current HS users (File sizes are small too)

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
You are right about the link. I saw that Apple makes it a bit more complicated.

The easiest thing is perhaps to follow this tutorial by Macworld UK. It might cover your questions.

Sadly, It seams my only solution is to use another Mac to download HS and then make a bootable disk.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You could try downloading it using http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

That downloads the vanilla High Sierra install and will even verify that you have a legit copy of the installer. Then rather than create a bootable USB for unsupported machines you'd just use the normal bootable USB instructions for a supported Mac.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
High Sierra for some reason is a pain to get a hold of.
I have a local copy of everything from 10.1 and up but somehow my copy of High Sierra was corrupted.

Couldn't download from anything outside an older 2007 iMac that has Sierra on it.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
You could try downloading it using http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

That downloads the vanilla High Sierra install and will even verify that you have a legit copy of the installer. Then rather than create a bootable USB for unsupported machines you'd just use the normal bootable USB instructions for a supported M

I would rather to download it from Apple.

I just don't want to run in any problem with it.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I think dos dude gets his osx from apple. Wierd thing was i needed to install high sierra several times this year and had more success at nite than the daytime. The AM hours never fully downloaded the entire osx.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I am on Mojava right now.

Any idea how to make it work ?

Also, My Mac came with HS preinstalled, Is there a way to install HS without App Store ?
I tried the internet recovery but it only allow me to install Catalina.

Thanks for the help.
Try this support page on "How to get old versions of macOS"
Click the "macOS High Sierra 10.13" link in the "Download macOS section" which will take you to High Sierra in the App Store.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Try this support page on "How to get old versions of macOS"
Click the "macOS High Sierra 10.13" link in the "Download macOS section" which will take you to High Sierra in the App Store.
I tried it many times and that error appears when I do, See the picture in the first post.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I tried it many times and that error appears when I do, See the picture in the first post.
There is nothing in your first post that indicates you tried the links that Apple provided in my post.
I am also running Mojave on one of my Macs. Just now as test I tried the link and here are the processes I saw:

I clicked "GET" then Software Update" opened and then I clicked the Download button.
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 09.09.13.jpg

The download started.
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 09.09.37.jpg

At the end of the download I get this pop up because I'm running Mojave and the High Sierra installer app can't automatically launch.

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 09.16.58.jpg

I click Quit.
The entire High Sierra installer app is in the Applications folder available to be used for creating a USB installer or saved/moved to another location.
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 09.18.02.jpg

Maybe you need to try a couple of PRAM resets and try again.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
There is nothing in your first post that indicates you tried the links that Apple provided in my post.
I am also running Mojave on one of my Macs. Just now as test I tried the link and here are the processes I saw:

I clicked "GET" then Software Update" opened and then I clicked the Download button.
View attachment 1700459

The download started.
View attachment 1700460

At the end of the download I get this pop up because I'm running Mojave and the High Sierra installer app can't automatically launch.

View attachment 1700461

I click Quit.
The entire High Sierra installer app is in the Applications folder available to be used for creating a USB installer or saved/moved to another location.
View attachment 1700462

I know the steps will be like that since I have downloaded Mojave and Big Sur from the App store and made a bootable drive for both.

But I keep get that message when I click 'get' for High Sierra in App Store.

I tried reseting PRAM once and didn't work.
But you mentioned that I should do it couple times, Why ?

I will do it again anyway but won't that harm my MBP or something ?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I know the steps will be like that since I have downloaded Mojave and Big Sur from the App store and made a bootable drive for both.

But I keep get that message when I click 'get' for High Sierra in App Store.

I tried reseting PRAM once and didn't work.
But you mentioned that I should do it couple times, Why ?

I will do it again anyway but won't that harm my MBP or something ?
I have not had the problem your having, but in some similar threads I've read on MacRumors people didn't solve their OS download problem until they did the PRAM reset 2 or 3 times. Doing it more than once will not hurt your Mac.

There will be some System Preferences that will need to be reset after a PRAM reset. Here is Apples instructions and it also lists the few preferences that should be checked and reset if needed.

fabthi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010

View attachment 1700459

The download started.
View attachment 1700460

View attachment 1700461

I click Quit.
View attachment 1700462

Are you sure you can make a USB installer of a High Sierra 13.10 original version?
Perhaps you can only make un update installer to be used on a machine that is already running an older HS version

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Is this thread dead??????
Haha, Maybe yes.

I already got HS from another Mac but it didn't work for my 2018 MBP.

I made another thread about it:

And someone there kindly helped me.

Basically, For 2018 MBP users they have to download a special build of HS that will only work with 2018 MBP.

fabthi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Haha, Maybe yes.

I already got HS from another Mac but it didn't work for my 2018 MBP.

I made another thread about it:

And someone there kindly helped me.

Basically, For 2018 MBP users they have to download a special build of HS that will only work with 2018 MBP.
Thanks Bo
but I don't have a 2018 MBP.
My machine is an Early 2011 15" 2,2GHz

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks Bo
but I don't have a 2018 MBP.
My machine is an Early 2011 15" 2,2GHz
And you can't download HS installer ?
If so then read below, I made this note in my 'Notes' App so that it may help me later, I just copied and paste here.

Download any macOS without using App Store:

First download this:

Then Move the script ‘installinstallmacos.py’, not the entire macadamin-scripts folder to /Users/Shared and then run the following in Terminal:

Code:

sudo /Users/Shared/installinstallmacos.py --catalogurl https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Then insert the number correspond to the macOS you want.

It will download the installer from Terminal.

And then you have to make it Bootable.

You may find 13.0 there.

Last edited:

fabthi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
And you can't download HS installer ?
If so then read below, I made this note in my 'Notes' App so that it may help me later, I just copied and paste here.

Download any macOS without using App Store:

First download this:

Then Move the script ‘installinstallmacos.py’, not the entire macadamin-scripts folder to /Users/Shared and then run the following in Terminal:

Code:

sudo /Users/Shared/installinstallmacos.py --catalogurl https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Then insert the number correspond to the macOS you want.

It will download the installer from Terminal.

And then you have to make it Bootable.

You may find 13.0 there.
Uhm...thanks Bo, only I'm afraid it's beyond my skills.
What should I exactly download here?

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-01-03 alle 17.31.32.png
    Schermata 2020-01-03 alle 17.31.32.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 170

fabthi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
I'm sure. You need the full "Install macOS High Sierra" app (about 6 GB) to make a bootable USB installer.
Not sure to understand; in Apple Downloads section only update versions of various OS are available for download, at least for me.
"Aggiornamento" stands for update
Are you saying I can make a bootable installer out of one of those update versions?

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-01-03 alle 17.44.28.png
    Schermata 2020-01-03 alle 17.44.28.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

fabthi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Perhaps the code I pasted in Terminal is not correct as I got this error:

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SeedCatalogs.plist'
Downloading https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog...
Could not replicate https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog: Command '[u'/usr/bin/curl', u'-sfL', u'--create-dirs', u'-o', u'./content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog', u'--compressed', 'https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog']' returned non-zero exit status 22
mbp-di-fabio:~ fabthi$

This is the code:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.