Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
I have a fresh install of Sierra on a new HD in my old 2009 iMac 27" , I used migration but only for computer and network bits, I'm copying he rest manually. Trouble is when I try and drag a network share from my Mac Pro to finder nothing happens, I get no red line, not option to drop it. I can drop a document but not the share.
So I tried creating an alias of the share then dragging that, still no joy..I then tried ctrl/cmd T and it created a favourite but the share has no name just a ?..
I've searched for the past 2 hours for a solution and found many with similar problem but no solution, has anyone any ideas please?

I did trash the shared preference & reboot but same problem..

Appreciate any help this is driving me crazy..

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
What are you trying to accomplish?
I'm trying to add a shared network drive to favourites, from what i gather this is no longer possible with Sierra without a bit of a work around.
[doublepost=1491578632][/doublepost]
Is Finder>Preferences>General>Show these items on the desktop:>Connected Servers checked?
Thanks for the reply Brian, yes I have the connected servers checked, I can access my Mac Pro & it's drives but I don't want to keep having to navigate this way, before I had a few network drives in my favourites sidebar, really handy as I swap stuff from my studio to my office all the time. But my Mac pro might have several different external drives attached. Found lots with the same problem on google search but never found a solution, I even spoke to Apple but they didn't know either.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I do have a network share in Favorites section of the sidebar and I've created it in Sierra. Weird because I haven't been able to do that BEFORE Sierra (the alias would disappear when disconnected). Mine is mounted with SMB, isn't yours AFP?

v654321

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Vilvoorde, Belgium
Having recently acquired a new M1-based Apple laptop, and my last MacOS usage dates back 6 or 7 years ago, it was driving me insane that i could not add samba shares to my Finder favourites.

In the meantime I found the solution for me:

Connect to your network location to see the list of shares.
Double click the share to show the contents of the share.
Hover your trackpad/mouse over the top/titlebar of the Finder window over the share name. A mapped drive icon will appear right before the share name.
Click and drag the icon over to your Favourites. If you click the share name, it will move the window. Clicking the icon allows you to add it to your favourites.

This was tested on macOS Big Sir 11.1.

Can others test this out and report back?

voidf1sh

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2022
Having recently acquired a new M1-based Apple laptop, and my last MacOS usage dates back 6 or 7 years ago, it was driving me insane that i could not add samba shares to my Finder favourites.

Hover your trackpad/mouse over the top/titlebar of the Finder window over the share name. A mapped drive icon will appear right before the share name.
Click and drag the icon over to your Favourites. If you click the share name, it will move the window. Clicking the icon allows you to add it to your favourites.

Registered just to thank you! This is my first mac as a lifelong Windows/Linux user, and not having my samba shares available in the Favorites was driving me insane. I did this hover trick and dragged the drive icon and it worked perfectly!

On Monterey 12.2.1 on M1 13" MBP

Reactions: v654321

chrisko

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022

Like others, I also made an account just to say thank you. The fact that you can't do it through other means seems like a bug to me but your workaround was flawless. Thanks so much!

bohaman

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
Hello,

Just wanted to make an account to say thank you as well. Mac M1. It my first Mac and there is a steep learning curve going from windows to Mac

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know this is an old post but just to share the solution I found.

I have three Macs, a cMP3,1 running Monterey (OC), a cMP2,1 running El Cap (Dosdude) and a 2015 MBA 11" running Monterey natively. It's the cMP3,1 which has trouble seeing one or both of the others, mainly the MBA actually. The cMP2,1 and the MBA normally sees the cMP3,1 (they're all on the same wifi network).

I was unable to drag connected Bonjour computers from Network to the Finder sidebar. Dragging the computers would create an alias icon which wouldn't "stick" in the sidebar. I tried the solution above (hover above the mapped drive icon) but that neither let me add the computer to Favourites nor to Locations.

I noticed two things. One: if I connected to the computers (double-clicking on them in Network) they would sometimes show up in the sidebar under Locations. Sometimes they would then disappear again.

The second thing, which seems to be the permanent solution, was suggested in a post at Apple Discussions: find the computer in question in Keychain Access, right-click it and select Go There. That seems to put the computer more permanently in the sidebar.

Just in case it helps someone else.
Cheers
Philip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.